Re: Taking pictures in the dark

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Rafe B., Jul 21, 2003.

  1. Rafe B.

    Rafe B. Guest

    On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 12:48:17 +0200, Luuk Houwen
    <> wrote:

    >I am looking for some tips for taking pictures in very low light
    >situations. More specifically wooden carvings in very badly lit churches
    >under circumstances that I can only position the camera some 80 cm (c. 25
    >in) away from the object (not further).
    >I have tried this using my Fuji S602Z with the in-built flash enabled. The
    >results are not bad but show too much reflected light to my taste. I was
    >also a little disappointed by the lack of depth. Should I enable macro
    >mode? Any other suggestions about camera settings would also be greatly
    >appreciated.

    The problem is not the camera but your flash technique.

    Use a diffuser for the flash, or a reflector.

    rafe b.
    http://www.terrapinphoto.com

    Rafe B., Jul 21, 2003

  2. Rafe B.

    Luuk Houwen Guest

    > The problem is not the camera but your flash technique.
    >
    > Use a diffuser for the flash, or a reflector.
    >

    > rafe b.
    > http://www.terrapinphoto.com

    Sounds sensible. Sorry for my ignorance but what precisely is a diffuser
    and can I get one for my built in flash (Fuji S602) or should I go for an
    external unit. Do diffusers come in different types and if so should I be
    looking for a particular type?

    --
    Luuk Houwen
    Hattingen

    *Remove NO-JNK from email adress before replying directly*

    Luuk Houwen, Jul 21, 2003