Re: SysWOW64 folder

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by PA Bear [MS MVP], Apr 10, 2010.

  1. [Crosspost to Win64-bit newsgroup]

    Vista SP1; Vista 64-bit SP2; Win7; Win7 64-bit) when posting in a forum or
    newsgroup. Please do so in your next reply.

    What third-party firewall (if any)?

    it)?

    A description of the differences between 32-bit versions of Windows Vista
    and 64-bit versions of Windows Vista:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946765
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

    PA Bear [MS MVP], Apr 10, 2010

  2. Robert is going after your basic virus questions, but to answer your
    question about what the SysWOW64 folder is -- it's the 32-bit version of the
    "system32" folder in a 64-bit version of Windows. Any 32-bit Windows
    applications, DLLs, etc, on your 64-bit Windows computer go in that folder.
    So it has 32-bit versions of CMD.EXE, for example, along with lots of other
    system applications. When you are running a 32-bit application, the SysWOW64
    folder _appears_ to be located at \Windows\system32, not at
    \Windows\SysWOW64. Only a 64-bit application can tell that the folder is
    located at SysWOW64.

    It is highly likely that you got infected by something nasty that was only
    32-bit aware.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 11, 2010

  3. [Who's this Robert person, Charles? <wink>]

    PA Bear [MS MVP], Apr 12, 2010
  4. Sigh. I really wasn't having a good day, Robear. My apologies.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 12, 2010
  5. Just kidding: S*** happens.

    PA Bear [MS MVP], Apr 12, 2010