Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by NEMISIES, Jun 27, 2003.

  1. NEMISIES

    NEMISIES Guest

    On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 16:12:33 -0400, "Al Dean" <>
    wrote:

    >I am running WinXP Pro, tried to do a system restore, it went through all
    >it's paces, then presented me with a message...the system restore could not
    >take place, no changes were made.
    >
    >any ideas??
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Al

    First things First !! Have U Enabled System Restore ???????

    More:
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2001111912274039

    How to turn off or turn on Windows XP System Restore

    Situation:
    You want to know how to turn off or turn on the Windows XP System
    Restore feature.

    Solution:
    System Restore, a Windows XP feature, is similar to the "Last Known
    Good Configuration" in Windows NT and Windows 2000. You can use System
    Restore to restore the computer to a previous state, using the backups
    that it makes of selected system files and program files. However,
    "Last Known Good Configuration" restores the computer back to the last
    state that Windows determines might work, whereas System Restore gives
    you a choice of previous states to restore the computer to. That is,
    System Restore maintains multiple restore points instead of one last
    restore point.

    While this is a desirable feature, in some cases it should be
    temporarily turned off. For example, if the computer is infected with
    a virus, then it is possible that the virus could be backed up by
    System Restore. By default, Windows prevents System Restore from being
    modified by outside programs. As a result, there is the possibility
    that you could restore a virus-infected file, or that the on-line
    scanners would detect the virus in that location.
    NEMISIES, Jun 27, 2003