Re: System reinstall question

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by brill80917, Jan 25, 2008.

  1. brill80917

    brill80917 Guest

    I would simply copy everything from the old drive to one of your other
    drives and it might be a good idea to also buy a USB 2.0 hard drive
    (you can get 300+GB's for a song these days) and make a second BU copy
    of your current drive over to it and keep this drive permanently as a
    BU hard drive.

    Once you KNOW your data is there on the other hard drive(s), wipe the
    old drive and do a full reinstall. Once you have it set up, you can
    start reinstalling applications from either the CD's or from the exec
    files that reside on the backup drives.

    Outlook can be a tricky reinstall as far as recreating your data and
    settings on a new drive. For Outlook Express there is a very nice very
    reliable program that will fully reinstall Outlook express from a
    backup that you make through the program--not sure if there is a
    similar program for Outlook, although the "import" data feature might
    simply be the answer. Anyway, it's called Outlook Express Backup
    Wizard and I have used it many times and it works very well.

    The main thing is that you have a full copy of your old drive on at
    least one, but preferably 2, backup HD's before you start anything. I
    would avoid DVDRW as a backup as the media in my experience is
    unreliable especially across different machines and DVD drives.
    Regular DVDR should be OK but you're obviously limited in the amount
    of data you can back up, whereas the USB HD's are very fast and
    reliable.

    brill80917, Jan 25, 2008