Re: System reinstall question

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Steve, Jan 13, 2008.

  1. Steve

    Steve Guest

    On Jan 10, 5:33 pm, "recotech" <> wrote:
    > I apologize in advance if any of this doesn't make sense (due to my
    > ignorance) but I need some help. I presently have a computer I built in
    > 2002 or 2003 (can't remember exactly) running XP Home. I have both all my
    > personal stuff (Office XP, internet stuff, etc.); but I also use it for
    > running loads of music software. I am planning on building a new box to be
    > used solely for music applications which I will transfer my music apps to.
    > My question is this. I would basically like to reinstall all my personal
    > stuff (with a clean install of the OS with SP2) back onto the original
    > computer, getting rid of a bunch of stuff I rarely use or don't need at all.
    > My problem is that I don't know how to do this safely. I want to insure
    > that files aren't lost and that I don't need to get the Comcast tech back
    > here to get me back online with their cable service. I want to protect the
    > integrity of all my MS Outlook data and any other personal data of that
    > sort. I do have hard drives available to handle any temporary transfer of
    > data, etc. but I just don't know the procedure. Any and all help would be
    > greatly appreciated. Perhaps just a suggestion as to a website I could
    > visit for guidance and/or any utility program suggestions. I thank anyone
    > in advance for any help in this matter.
    >
    > Cheers

    Another very good idea, if you have a burner (CD or DVD), is to make a
    hard copy of all of your personal files. I found this out the hard
    way, some time ago. I bought a new hard drive, copied everything over
    to it from the old drive, reformatted the old one... yep, you guessed
    it, the new one died. Lost everything. So now, I keep all my personal
    stuff (photos, mp3s,etc.) on DVDs, just in case. And no, it's not a
    waste, because I use DVD-RWs, so I can continually add to, or remove
    from, the disk as I need to. I use Nero burning software, which
    includes very easy to use software for rewritables. It's just a smart
    way to insure the safety of your data.

    Cheers, Steve

    Steve, Jan 13, 2008