Re: System Process at 95% cpu on Vista notebook

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Evan Platt, Jan 27, 2009.

  1. Evan Platt

    Evan Platt Guest

    Evan Platt, Jan 27, 2009

  2. Evan Platt

    walter Guest

    Van Chocstraw wrote:

    > Evan Platt wrote:
    >> On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 23:01:09 -0500, Van Chocstraw
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Why is this process running constantly and spinning the shit out of
    >>> my hard drive?

    >> Do you mean System Idle Process?
    >>
    >> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=system idle process hogs cpu&btnG=Google Search&aq=f&oq=

    > I don't believe the idle process lights the hd activity light does it?
    > Plus everything else I try to run is slow as cat shit starting up.

    You have yet to name the process. So far everybody replying has made the
    *assumption* that you are referencing "System Idle".... Are you?

    As far as HD activity when you aren't doing anything, check into drive
    indexing.

    From
    http://www.tweakhound.com/vista/tweakguide/page_4.htm

    Turn Off Indexing or Configure which drives you want indexed

    1 - Many people have noticed a lot of "disk activity" or "disk thrashing" in
    Vista. Disabling this will stop SOME of this activity but NOT all. Other
    Vista services like Prefetch and ReadyBoost account for some of this

    2 - Disabling Indexing does not mean you can't use Windows Search but it
    does mean searches will take more time.
    walter, Jan 27, 2009