Re: Symantec Moving to Product Activation

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by colinco, Aug 28, 2003.

  1. colinco

    colinco Guest

    In article <dDc3b.14331$>,
    says...
    > The company estimates at least 3.6-million bogus
    > copies of its programs are sold annually, causing headaches both for
    > Symantec and unsuspecting buyers, who find out too late that the
    > software isn't doing the job.

    Ahh.. so it's the BOGUS copies that don't work ;-)

    colinco, Aug 28, 2003

  2. colinco

    steve Guest

    T.N.O. wrote:
    > "steve" wrote
    >
    >>I think they won't be allowed to gain access to the virus profile
    >>updates.......once activation has been implemented.
    >>In fact....the non-activated software may come, in future, with no virus
    >>profile info at all.

    > The problem with that is???

    Not a problem for me. I use linux.

    But it will be a problem for home users with multiple PCs who have never
    understood the FULL cost of their proprietary software.

    When a family with - say - 3 PCs realises what it really costs to use
    all that software......they will take a more careful look at what they
    are using.

    Starting with Windows.

    steve, Aug 28, 2003

  3. colinco

    Steven H Guest

    In article <BUe3b.14364$>,
    says...

    > When a family with - say - 3 PCs realises what it really costs to use
    > all that software......they will take a more careful look at what they
    > are using.
    >
    > Starting with Windows.

    no it wont start with windows, windows is what they know, windows is
    what they like and windows is what their children use.

    Steven H

    Steven H, Aug 28, 2003
  4. colinco

    steve Guest

    Steven H wrote:
    > In article <BUe3b.14364$>,
    > says...
    >

    >>When a family with - say - 3 PCs realises what it really costs to use
    >>all that software......they will take a more careful look at what they
    >>are using.
    >>
    >>Starting with Windows.

    > no it wont start with windows, windows is what they know, windows is
    > what they like and windows is what their children use.

    .....The calls I'm getting about looking into Linux suggests that there
    are people out there - pensioners and others of limited means - who
    don't agree with you.

    steve, Aug 28, 2003
  5. On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 22:07:03 +1200, steve <> wrote:

    >Steven H wrote:
    >> In article <BUe3b.14364$>,
    >> says...
    >>

    >>>When a family with - say - 3 PCs realises what it really costs to use
    >>>all that software......they will take a more careful look at what they
    >>>are using.
    >>>
    >>>Starting with Windows.

    >> no it wont start with windows, windows is what they know, windows is
    >> what they like and windows is what their children use.

    >....The calls I'm getting about looking into Linux suggests that there
    >are people out there - pensioners and others of limited means - who
    >don't agree with you.

    Utter Rubbish, Lunix is not for the average home user at all.

    Pensioners even have problems with Windows and I just can't see them getting
    to grips with Lunix..

    Robert Kramer, Aug 28, 2003
  6. colinco

    Invisible Guest

    On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 22:42:35 +1200, Robert Kramer
    <> wrote:

    >Pensioners even have problems with Windows and I just can't see them getting
    >to grips with Lunix..

    You being one of them!

    ;-)

    Invisible, Aug 28, 2003
  7. colinco

    Col^ Guest

    On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 23:57:06 +1200, Robert Kramer
    <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 23:26:49 +1200, Invisible <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 22:42:35 +1200, Robert Kramer
    >><> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Pensioners even have problems with Windows and I just can't see them getting
    >>>to grips with Lunix..

    >>You being one of them!
    >>
    >>;-)
    >>

    >No I am a Computer/Electronic Engineer, and I have not gone over to the Dark
    >Side..

    Bullshit !!

    --

    Col

    Col's law.
    Thinly sliced cabbage..

    Col^, Aug 28, 2003
  8. On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 01:17:07 +1200, Col^ <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 23:57:06 +1200, Robert Kramer
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 23:26:49 +1200, Invisible <> wrote:

    >>>You being one of them!
    >>>
    >>>;-)
    >>>

    >>No I am a Computer/Electronic Engineer, and I have not gone over to the Dark
    >>Side..
    >>

    >Bullshit !!

    Pardon...?

    Robert Kramer, Aug 28, 2003
  9. On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 15:44:33 +1200, steve wrote:

    > But it will be a problem for home users with multiple PCs who have never
    > understood the FULL cost of their proprietary software.
    >
    > When a family with - say - 3 PCs realises what it really costs to use
    > all that software......they will take a more careful look at what they
    > are using.

    Indeed.

    <plug>

    FWIW, a home user GUI license for F-prot covers 5 machines at US$20/year,
    with automated updates (whcih don't seem to expire, you just lose access
    to updated versions of the software itself)

    CLI versions of the software are free, but you have to write your own
    batch scripts to update the definition files

    </plug>

    --
    There are 2 sorts of email opt-in lists:
    2: Fraud

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Aug 28, 2003
  10. In article <>, says...
    > On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 23:57:06 +1200, Robert Kramer
    > <> wrote:

    > >No I am a Computer/Electronic Engineer, and I have not gone over to the Dark
    > >Side..
    > >

    > Bullshit !!

    Well, it happened when he looked into that funny crystal, Sauron stole
    his mind but like Saruman he hasn't noticed yet ... I think the Tourette
    Syndrom exhibited is a clear indication.

    :) ;-) O:-] :p.

    Peter Huebner, Aug 29, 2003
  11. On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 19:53:28 +0000, Craig Shore wrote:

    >><plug>
    >>
    >>FWIW, a home user GUI license for F-prot covers 5 machines at US$20/year,
    >>with automated updates (whcih don't seem to expire, you just lose access
    >>to updated versions of the software itself)

    > Be careful there, if they have updated the software your old copy may
    > be ineffective - even with the latest .def files.

    It's still effective (so far). I've seen 4 year old versions of the SW
    able to use the definition files. the updates tend to make things faster
    and more robust as definition files keep steadily growing.

    In any case there's still the CLI (32 bit) versions for those too tight
    assed to pay NZ$40/year for AV software able to be run on 5 machines legally.

    Compare that with what you pay for the box sets for everything else.

    Boxed versions RRP around $80, plus $40/year - single machine, $10 cheaper
    for download versions.

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Aug 29, 2003
  12. colinco

    Invisible Guest

    <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 23:26:49 +1200, Invisible <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 22:42:35 +1200, Robert Kramer
    >><> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Pensioners even have problems with Windows and I just can't see them getting
    >>>to grips with Lunix..

    >>You being one of them!
    >>
    >>;-)
    >>

    >No I am a Computer/Electronic Engineer, and I have not gone over to the Dark
    >Side..

    But you are a pensioner!

    ;-)

    Invisible, Aug 29, 2003
  13. On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 17:07:59 +1200, Invisible <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 23:57:06 +1200, Robert Kramer
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 23:26:49 +1200, Invisible <> wrote:

    >>>You being one of them!
    >>>
    >>>;-)
    >>>

    >>No I am a Computer/Electronic Engineer, and I have not gone over to the Dark
    >>Side..
    >>

    >But you are a pensioner!
    >
    >;-)

    No I am not

    Robert Kramer, Aug 29, 2003
  14. colinco

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 23:45:11 +0000, "Uncle StoatWarbler"
    <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 19:53:28 +0000, Craig Shore wrote:
    >

    >>><plug>
    >>>
    >>>FWIW, a home user GUI license for F-prot covers 5 machines at US$20/year,
    >>>with automated updates (whcih don't seem to expire, you just lose access
    >>>to updated versions of the software itself)

    >> Be careful there, if they have updated the software your old copy may
    >> be ineffective - even with the latest .def files.

    >It's still effective (so far). I've seen 4 year old versions of the SW
    >able to use the definition files. the updates tend to make things faster
    >and more robust as definition files keep steadily growing.
    >
    >In any case there's still the CLI (32 bit) versions for those too tight
    >assed to pay NZ$40/year for AV software able to be run on 5 machines legally.

    I was running the CLI version, and missed picking up a virus because I
    was using an old engine, even though I had the latest definition
    files.

    Craig Shore, Aug 29, 2003