Re: Sygate Personal Firewall readout

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Philippe L. Balmanno, Jul 4, 2003.

  1. I've had sygate for three years, yes it does report any new file or
    different file size. It will also report which programs are trying to
    connect to the outside to IP whatever. I still value it as it closes
    ports and known trojan ports from the outside to my internal lan. All
    be it I have allowed a few applications to run in the allow mode
    especially those I update or as jafiwam put it, I knew I was looking at
    something and accepted the install, even though those downloads are
    still scanned by an AV for viruses/trojans. If you can't view the file
    via notepad.exe/wordpad.exe you have to make the call as to the level of
    your confidence.

    Philippe L. Balmanno, Jul 4, 2003

  2. Philippe L. Balmanno

    David Guest

    "Philippe L. Balmanno" <> wrote in message news:<0JgNa.87753$Pc5.49608@fed1read01>...
    > I've had sygate for three years, yes it does report any new file or
    > different file size. It will also report which programs are trying to
    > connect to the outside to IP whatever. I still value it as it closes
    > ports and known trojan ports from the outside to my internal lan. All
    > be it I have allowed a few applications to run in the allow mode
    > especially those I update or as jafiwam put it, I knew I was looking at
    > something and accepted the install, even though those downloads are
    > still scanned by an AV for viruses/trojans. If you can't view the file
    > via notepad.exe/wordpad.exe you have to make the call as to the level of
    > your confidence.
    >
    > David wrote:
    >
    > >"Application has changed since the last time you opened it, process
    > >id: 4294808605
    > >Filename: C:\Program Files\Qualcomm\Eudora\Eudora.exe
    > >The change was denied by user.
    > >
    > >---- Modules changed: 0 ----
    > >---- New modules: 4 ----
    > >C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KSUSER.DLL
    > >C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\CFGMGR32.DLL
    > >C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DSOUND.DLL
    > >C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\QUICKTIME.QTS"
    > >
    > >There four files were added to my computer, prompting a warning from
    > >Sygate. How do I examine these files to see whether they are legit
    > >updates, or files imposed by penetration through my e-mail client?

    There were a lot more issues. I wish I had written it all down at the
    time. No computer function problems but when using quickview on two of
    the .dlls some of the data was marked as having been deleted in the
    executable. Also the DLLs were marked as stand alone executables
    needing no additional file to run.

    David, Jul 4, 2003

    Here's another from tucows <http://www.tucows.com/preview/224165.html>

    Philippe L. Balmanno, Jul 5, 2003