Re: switching from wired home LAN to WiFi - plug size?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by why?, Dec 28, 2005.

  1. why?

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 23:16:12 +0000, anthonyberet wrote:

    >why? wrote:
    >> On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 22:28:31 +0000, anthonyberet wrote:

    did the x-post in again.

    >> x-post trimmed to 24HSHD from
    >> 24hoursupport.helpdesk,uk.comp.home-networking,alt.comp.networking.routers
    >>

    >Out of interest, why snip the x-post?

    You didn't set a follow up, and I couldn't be bothered guessing where
    replies may or may not end up in groups I don't look at.

    >Not all x-posting is a bad thing, you know ;)

    SIsn't say it was.

    >>>I have been using a D-Link DSL-504 router for a few years, and have got
    >>>on fine with it with 3 computers running different OSs, using the same
    >>>ADSL connection, but not genrally sharing drives or peripherals.

    >>>I bought a Belkin Wireless G Router (54 Mbps) to go with the laptop.

    >> You cave the D-Link model, but not the Belkin.

    'gave'

    >Cave? - Do you mean save or have?
    >- I don't follow in either case, sorry.

    You specified the D-Link model but not the Belkin, to look it up.

    <snip>

    >>>Or am I misunderstanding something fundamental here?
    >>>The set-up tutorial that comes with the Belkin Router assumes that there
    >>>is a Modem to connect the larger Ethernet cable to. - I don't have one,

    >> Correct that would be ISP - Cable Modem - RJ45 Ethenet (or USB) - Belkin
    >> - Ethernet to PCs..
    >>

    >>>only the old D-Link Router which as I said, works fine on its own.

    >> The D-Link, would be ISP - RJ11 phone cable from wall to D-Link then
    >> Ethernet to PCs.
    >>

    >>>Do I need a modem all of a sudden? - Why's that, if so?

    >> You most likely bought the wrong device.
    >>

    >Hmmm - you might be right - I did ask in the store if it would just drop
    >in the place of the D-link.
    >- However, this puzzles me a bit.
    >Why is one router needful of a modem on my side of the ISP connection
    >but the other not?

    The D-Link may well be a combined ADSL/Modem.

    >Surely they shouldn't both be called routers with no qualifiers in that
    >case?

    No. Because they are, What extra bits needed to plug into them is
    another matter.

    >If I need a router-modem now, then how has it been working hitherto?

    The D-Link may well be a combined ADSL/Modem.

    >>>Sorry to waffle - will be happy to post more info if needed, but this
    >>>hasn't been an easy problem to describe.

    >> It could have been shorter.
    >>

    >Yes, it could have been. I doubt it would have flowed as nicely though :)

    It was hard to read, 1 big lump of text no paragraph breaks.

    Me

    why?, Dec 28, 2005