Re: switching from wired home LAN to WiFi - plug size?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Travis M., Dec 28, 2005.

  1. Travis M.

    Travis M. Guest

    "anthonyberet" <> wrote in message
    > Travis M. wrote:
    > > "anthonyberet" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > > I have been using a D-Link DSL-504 router for a few years,
    > > > and
    > > > have got on fine with it with 3 computers running different
    > > > OSs, using the same ADSL connection, but not genrally
    > > > sharing
    > > > drives or peripherals. However, having just bought a new
    > > > laptop
    > > > with a WiFi card built-in I think it is time to go
    > > > wireless.
    > > >
    > > > I bought a Belkin Wireless G Router (54 Mbps) to go with
    > > > the
    > > > laptop. I had thought it would just replace the old D-Link
    > > > router, as it has ports for ethernet cables as well as the
    > > > Wifi
    > > > for the lappy. However, I find that the new cable which
    > > > connects to the
    > > > wall-socket (ie, out to my ISP) has a larger plug on it
    > > > than
    > > > the old D-link router cable has.
    > > > I have one of those frequency-splitter boxes on the
    > > > phone-port
    > > > (splitting the ADSL from the phone service), and it is that
    > > > which has the smaller-sized port for the network cable from
    > > > the
    > > > router. - The new Belkin comes with an ordinary Ethernet
    > > > cable
    > > > for this connection.
    > > > I find it is working ok if I connect the new Belkin router
    > > > between my main desktop PC and the D-Link router. I can use
    > > > the
    > > > lappy via the WiFi when I do this, and of course the
    > > > plug/socket sizes match ok. However, this makes the network
    > > > topography a bit complicated, having two routers to
    > > > configure
    > > > ports on etc. Can I get a new ADSL/phone splitter with a
    > > > larger LAN input, or
    > > > a cable with full-sized ethernet plug at one end and a
    > > > smaller
    > > > one for the ADSL/phone port on the other end? Then I can
    > > > get
    > > > rid of the D-link and just use the Belkin.
    > > > Or am I misunderstanding something fundamental here?
    > > > The set-up tutorial that comes with the Belkin Router
    > > > assumes
    > > > that there is a Modem to connect the larger Ethernet cable
    > > > to.
    > > > - I don't have one, only the old D-Link Router which as I
    > > > said,
    > > > works fine on its own. Do I need a modem all of a sudden? -
    > > > Why's that, if so? Sorry to waffle - will be happy to post
    > > > more info if needed, but
    > > > this hasn't been an easy problem to describe.

    > > It would appear that your old 504 included a modem. Ask your
    > > ISP
    > > what modem you should use with your new router.
    > >

    > Goodness, you are right. It does have a built-in modem!
    > How very peculiar of Linksys not to make the fact a bit more
    > prominent. Thanks for your succinct reply. - There I was, under
    > the
> [...]

    Linksys did not build any of the modems/routers you have
    mentioned thus far.

    Doesn't you ISP provide you with a modem/router when you upgrade
    to the faster service?

    --

    Travis in Shoreline Washington

    Travis M., Dec 28, 2005