Re: Switch port consumption report and capacity planning.

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by brickwalls19, Jul 20, 2006.

  1. brickwalls19

    brickwalls19 Guest

    on the instance i do a 'show port status'

    connected = used port
    not connected = unused port

    brickwalls19, Jul 20, 2006

  2. brickwalls19

    J Guest

    brickwalls19 wrote:
    > on the instance i do a 'show port status'
    >
    > connected = used port
    > not connected = unused port

    That's fine and dandy if you want stats for that exact moment in time,
    say 09:00. But what about the group of call center people that don't
    come in until 13:00? There's another couple of dozen ports that may be
    disconnected when you check the status. Don't forget about the
    executive golf tournament, I mean business retreat that the upper crust
    happen to be gone to this week. There's another 4 dozen ports. Is
    there a bad case of flu going through the office? There's another
    large group of machines that are offline. The point is port status
    means very little if you aren't checking and logging the status of each
    individual port over a lengthy period of time. If you want to get
    anything accurate you should instead look at port statistics. Go
    through your interface statistics and look for ports that actually have
    carried Ethernet frames. Any ports that have been used since your last
    interface counter clearing will show that they've carried frames, even
    if the ports are currently offline. When you're done clear the
    counters. Do the same thing next week. Note any changes. This is as
    close as you can get to accurate port counts. Even this is not
    fool-proof. What about the extra ports in the conference room that are
    only used once a quarter to hookup all the misc AV equipment for the
    quarterly report, or the 3 dozen ports in the large storage room that
    gets cleaned out once a year and used for 3 weeks worth of training?

    J, Jul 20, 2006

  3. In article <>,
    J <> wrote:
    >brickwalls19 wrote:
    >> on the instance i do a 'show port status'

    >> connected = used port
    >> not connected = unused port

    >That's fine and dandy if you want stats for that exact moment in time,
    >say 09:00. But what about the group of call center people that don't
    >come in until 13:00?

    Thanks, you saved me a lot of typing along the same vein ;-)

    Walter Roberson, Jul 21, 2006