Re: Swapping Lithium Battries for Lead Acid.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Richard, Jan 18, 2009.

  1. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Roger_Nickel wrote:
    > On Sat, 17 Jan 2009 18:43:31 -0800, ChristianKnight wrote:
    >
    >> Hi I have two 12 volt 10AH Leads acid battries running my scooter that I
    >> wish to replace with Lithium Battries. Can anyone please describe the
    >> battries I need and advise how to connect them in series if nessasary.
    >> Thanks Christ's love

    > Probably you are thinking high capacity lithium ion batteries. These are
    > electrically fragile and require careful management if you are to avoid a
    > fire. To my knowledge they only come as a power pack with charge
    > controller/protection circuit built in. Some of the B&D/DeWalt power
    > tools use them so your best bet would probably be to buy a couple of the
    > 14 volt power packs and a charger. It might be cheaper to buy the whole
    > tool if you have a use for it. Terminal voltage is around 3.5 volts per
    > cell and prospective short circuit current is dangerously high, so watch
    > it.

    Some tools (forget the brand) have the speed controller as part of the
    battery management circuits so may not be suitable.

    IMO this is something better asked on one of the electric vehicle forums
    then here, since it will probably need a replacement of speedcontrollers
    etc. I think it will work out non viable.
    Richard, Jan 18, 2009

  2. Richard

    Roger_Nickel Guest

    Roger_Nickel, Jan 18, 2009

  3. Roger_Nickel wrote:
    > On Sat, 17 Jan 2009 18:43:31 -0800, ChristianKnight wrote:
    >
    >> Hi I have two 12 volt 10AH Leads acid battries running my scooter that I
    >> wish to replace with Lithium Battries. Can anyone please describe the
    >> battries I need and advise how to connect them in series if nessasary.
    >> Thanks Christ's love

    > Probably you are thinking high capacity lithium ion batteries. These are
    > electrically fragile and require careful management if you are to avoid a
    > fire. To my knowledge they only come as a power pack with charge
    > controller/protection circuit built in. Some of the B&D/DeWalt power
    > tools use them so your best bet would probably be to buy a couple of the
    > 14 volt power packs and a charger. It might be cheaper to buy the whole
    > tool if you have a use for it. Terminal voltage is around 3.5 volts per
    > cell and prospective short circuit current is dangerously high, so watch
    > it.

    Jeez, CK is far too dim to deal with that.

    Roger Dewhurst, Jan 18, 2009
  4. Richard

    Roger_Nickel Guest

    On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 16:18:10 +1300, Richard wrote:

    > Roger_Nickel wrote:
    >> On Sat, 17 Jan 2009 18:43:31 -0800, ChristianKnight wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi I have two 12 volt 10AH Leads acid battries running my scooter that
    >>> I wish to replace with Lithium Battries. Can anyone please describe
    >>> the battries I need and advise how to connect them in series if
    >>> nessasary. Thanks Christ's love

    >> Probably you are thinking high capacity lithium ion batteries. These
    >> are electrically fragile and require careful management if you are to
    >> avoid a fire. To my knowledge they only come as a power pack with
    >> charge controller/protection circuit built in. Some of the B&D/DeWalt
    >> power tools use them so your best bet would probably be to buy a couple
    >> of the 14 volt power packs and a charger. It might be cheaper to buy
    >> the whole tool if you have a use for it. Terminal voltage is around 3.5
    >> volts per cell and prospective short circuit current is dangerously
    >> high, so watch it.

    > Some tools (forget the brand) have the speed controller as part of the
    > battery management circuits so may not be suitable.
    >
    > IMO this is something better asked on one of the electric vehicle forums
    > then here, since it will probably need a replacement of speedcontrollers
    > etc. I think it will work out non viable.

    Some of the Bosch tools charge via a connector on the base so your
    comment on the speed controller probably applies here. The DeWalt plug
    packs would be the way to go but the cost is steep and probably would
    need to do something to limit discharge rates into a stalled motor. I
    have been thinking of using these units on a bicycle but will wait for
    the price to drop and for the reliability/lifespan to improve.
    Roger_Nickel, Jan 18, 2009
  5. Richard

    Gordon Guest

    On 2009-01-18, Roger_Nickel <> wrote:
    > On Sat, 17 Jan 2009 18:43:31 -0800, ChristianKnight wrote:
    >
    >> Hi I have two 12 volt 10AH Leads acid battries running my scooter that I
    >> wish to replace with Lithium Battries. Can anyone please describe the
    >> battries I need and advise how to connect them in series if nessasary.
    >> Thanks Christ's love

    > Probably you are thinking high capacity lithium ion batteries. These are
    > electrically fragile and require careful management if you are to avoid a
    > fire.

    FFS, just cause DELL had one or two which did so...

    [snip]

    > cell and prospective short circuit current is dangerously high, so watch
    > it.

    Indeed, the old car battery can spark rather well
    Gordon, Jan 18, 2009
  6. Richard

    Gordon Guest

    On 2009-01-18, ChristianKnight <> wrote:
    [snip]

    > Thats why I have to wait while these things are made easy.
    > Only I get eager with anticipation.

    Plain wrong, look around you. ;-
    Gordon, Jan 18, 2009
  7. Richard

    EMB Guest

    ChristianKnight wrote:
    > On Jan 18, 5:33 pm, Roger Dewhurst <> wrote:
    >> Roger_Nickel wrote:
    >>> Probably you are thinking high capacity lithium ion batteries. These are
    >>> electrically fragile and require careful management if you are to avoid a
    >>> fire. To my knowledge they only come as a power pack with charge
    >>> controller/protection circuit built in. Some of the B&D/DeWalt power
    >>> tools use them so your best bet would probably be to buy a couple of the
    >>> 14 volt power packs and a charger. It might be cheaper to buy the whole
    >>> tool if you have a use for it. Terminal voltage is around 3.5 volts per
    >>> cell and prospective short circuit current is dangerously high, so watch
    >>> it.

    >> Jeez, CK is far too dim to deal with that.
    >>
    >> R- Hide quoted text -

    > Thats why I have to wait while these things are made easy.
    > Only I get eager with anticipation.
    > Christ's love

    A dose of Lithium would probably help you ;-)
    EMB, Jan 18, 2009
  8. On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 00:31:21 +1300, EMB <> wrote in

    > ChristianKnight wrote:
    >>> Jeez, CK is far too dim to deal with that.
    >>>
    >>> R- Hide quoted text -

    >> Thats why I have to wait while these things are made easy.
    >> Only I get eager with anticipation.
    >> Christ's love

    > A dose of Lithium would probably help you ;-)

    You forgot the mag. sulph. additive - "It really keeps you going".

    --
    - Nicolaas
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Jan 18, 2009