Re: SvcHost / Services

  1. Pedro Simoes

    Pedro Simoes Guest

    In article <oX4ef.10$Y%>, joebob-no-email-
    says...
    > Howdy all. Question about mmc 'services' and svchost 'services.' At

    least I'll call the
    > svchost processes 'services.' Say I need all the resources I can get

    and have a machine
    > with a static ip, don't need any of the dchp fuctions (including ddns)

    so I shut down the
    > mmc/services dchp client, yet, svchost launches a dhcp process from

    the netsvcs value.
    > -is this to say, ultimate control of 'services' launched on a machine

    isn't strictly
    > regulated to mmc/services?
    >
    > I've found the svchost info at ms which speaks of how svchost

    processess *work,* how to
    > tlist them out, but not a description for the various processess

    launched by svchost. Not
    > only have I wondered about this in general, but also could be a test

    question one day and
    > is why I've posted here.
    >

    > Thanks.
    >
    > joebob

    I am not 100% certain of what you are asking here, but to get a nice
    view of processes running on a box (including those within the service
    host) go to sysinternals.com and download Process Explorer. (There is no

    cost.)
    Pedro Simoes, Nov 24, 2005