Re: svchost.exe problem. Help if you know of this

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Dave, Aug 16, 2003.

  1. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "DullRazor" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all
    > I've posted this question once but I never saw it show up in the
    > group. Heres the problem; I reinstalled Windows 2000pro on my machine
    > and ever since I get an error message that says, "svchost.exe has
    > generated problems and will be shutdown. You will have to restart the
    > program. An error log is being generated". When this happens my
    > windows search menu will not come up. I can click on start, go to
    > search, then to files and folders but the search window will not come
    > up. Also, I can go into Winnt and it is completely blank as well as
    > the programs folder.

    <snipped>
    This issue is being caused by the msblaster worm. Further information
    on this issue can be found here:

    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.worm.htm

    Patch for Windows 2000/NT
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c8b8a846-f541-4c15-
    8c9f-220354449117&displaylang=en

    ..

    Dave, Aug 16, 2003

  2. Dave

    RussS Guest

    RussS, Aug 16, 2003

  3. I have the same issue on a couple of different computers. I even ran the
    msblaster check from Norton to make sure, and nothing.

    Systems Administrator
    Coordinated Home Care

    remove me to email to me

    Simon Telrenner, Aug 18, 2003
  4. Dave

    RussS Guest

    Could be a different variation of Blaster - there are a couple out there
    unfortunately.

    RussS, Aug 18, 2003
  5. Dave

    Dave Guest

    There is a d.o.s variant of the same exploit utilised by blaster, just
    crashes servicehost. walling port 135 stops it

    Dave, Aug 18, 2003
  6. Dave

    Bret Guest

    On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 09:51:29 +1200, "RussS" <>
    wrote:

    >Could be a different variation of Blaster - there are a couple out there
    >unfortunately.

    I had a customers machine display the symptoms of MBlast ie: shutting
    down in 30 seconds, when scanned with the removal tool(two of them)
    didn't pick up anything.I patched it anyway and ran Adaware and Spybot
    and picked up around 150 nasties.
    Customer picked up the machine and no problems ???

    Bret, Aug 19, 2003
  7. Dave

    RussS Guest

    Yes, as Dave said - there is a DOS varient out there, and I am thinking a
    lot of modern scanners do not check old DOS stuff.

    RussS, Aug 19, 2003
  8. Dave

    RussS Guest

  9. Dave

    Bret Guest

    On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 01:46:00 GMT, DullRazor <>
    wrote:

    >Hay Brett
    >Where can I pick up adaware and spybot? Are they easy to run?

    RussS has kindly posted the links for you, they are easy to run, and
    can be set to scan on boot every time.

    Bret, Aug 19, 2003
  10. Dave

    RussS Guest

    Definitely sounds like one of the generic variations ;-)

    RussS, Aug 19, 2003
  11. Dave

    RussS Guest

    Then you have to take into account any other greebles .. like the latest
    SoBig.F that is around in huge numbers. I am still seeing a lot of Klez
    around too - always interesting trying to explain to a client why they
    should continue spending money on anti-virus software when some virus out
    there actually disable it.
    Currently I recommend Norton AV, SpyBot S&D and Kerios free firewall for
    home users. Another option for those who are cash strapped is the free
    AntiVir Personal Edition which has out performed AVG lately. However, I
    have found that many of my clients (especially the elderly) appreciate a
    fortnightly email I send reminding them to update their virus definitions
    and just letting them know of any other issues they should be aware of.

    RussS, Aug 20, 2003
  12. Dave

    RussS Guest

    Yup - sure does