Re: suspend and wireless network

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by PA Bear, Aug 30, 2004.

  1. PA Bear

    PA Bear Guest

    Do you have a static or dynamic IP?
    --
    Wireless Networking-specific newsgroup:

    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE), AH-VSOP

    Are You Ready for WinXP SP2?
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=windowsxpsp2

    What You Should Know About Spyware
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/devioussoftware.mspx

    AumHa Forums
    http://forum.aumha.org

    PA Bear, Aug 30, 2004

  2. PA Bear

    Jeff Guest

    I do not know. :-(
    It's cable connection through Comsat and it is WEP enabled.

    --

    Jeff McPherson
    Email address deliberately false to avoid spam

    Jeff, Aug 30, 2004

  3. PA Bear

    PA Bear Guest

    How to troubleshoot wireless network connections in Windows XP Service Pack
    2
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=870702
    --
    ~PA Bear

    PA Bear, Aug 31, 2004
  4. PA Bear

    CS Guest

    On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 15:20:52 -0400, "Jeff" <> wrote:

    >I do not know. :-(
    > It's cable connection through Comsat and it is WEP enabled.

    You probably have a dynamic IP assigned to you as it would be unusual
    for a provider like Comsat to assign a static IP address. To answer
    the first question you posted about your laptop.....

    Yes, it's normal when the laptop comes out of Standby or Suspend mode
    to have to reboot to establish the wireless connection again. Mine
    does the same thing although not all the time. Make sure you're not
    using any additional configuration software supplied by your hardware.
    XP, especially SP2 does a very good job of providing all the
    configuration you'll need with the zero wireless configuration service
    running.

    CS, Aug 31, 2004
  5. PA Bear

    Jeff Guest

    Thanks. I just wanted to know if it was normal. Appreciate it.

    Mine also does not do it all the time - which is what actually got me
    wondering.

    Jeff, Aug 31, 2004
  6. I would have to say its not normal to require a reboot to enable your
    wireless post suspend or hibernation. I live by these two capabilities and
    my wireless on my tablet with no issue. Only recently have I seen this
    effect, in fact twice today, but I think its related to a install of some
    VPN software that failed, and I don't think it got uninstalled all the way.

    Time to go back to my last good image.

    Alex Kalemkeris, Sep 9, 2004
  7. PA Bear

    xfile Guest

    Hi:

    In my case, I don't need to reboot to resume wireless connection at my home
    (DSL with Wireless Router) and at office (Leased line with Wireless Router
    and Firewall). So, I guess it's not a "must". However, I am not a network
    expert, so I don't know if this is related to Windows and/or it also relate
    to the notebook's BIOS and wireless adopter and its driver.

    Hope this will help.

    xfile, Sep 9, 2004
  8. It's not normal to have to reboot after suspend.

    I've seen this problem also, and only since installing XP service pack 2. I
    haven't found a permanent solution yet (haven't tried actually), but I have
    found a workaround that's quicker than rebooting.

    If you open a DOS window and type "ipconfig /renew" it should re-establish
    the wireless connection.

    I don't know what's causing this or how to permanently fix it, but the
    workaround so far has been easy enough so that I'm not worrying about it too
    much.

    Sumjo Yoo Donoe, Oct 18, 2004
  9. Typically, problems with a wireless interface after resuming from a suspend
    or hibernate are due to the NIC driver. Be sure that you have the
    manufacturer's latest driver. Another option you can try is utilizing the
    "Repair" function whenever you have any sort of problem (such as not
    receiving a DHCP IP address properly) by right clicking over the wireless
    icon and selecting "Repair". The repair function is quite adept at
    recovering from these types of driver-related issues.

    Peter Bui[MS], Nov 2, 2004