    www.amazon.co.uk
    has "Straw Dogs" DVD
    & "Fright" used DVD Region 2 DVDs.

    KentuckyBootleg, Aug 11, 2003

  2. KentuckyBootleg

    NoOne Guest

    "Lithurge" <> wrote in message
    news:Xns93D5BCF11C536xasd23dsf@130.133.1.4...
    > "NoOne" <> wrote in
    >
    > If you fancy saving some money go to www.play.com and buy Straw
    > Dogs from them, it's only £8.99. (You should be able to find it
    > in any local shops if you can't wait for it to be posted, not
    > sure if it's on sale prices though)
    >
    > As for a british film being unavailable on R2 I'm guessing your
    > new to DVD? You'll find a lot of inconsistency about what's
    > available in what region, usually coming down to whoever holds
    > the rights in the particular locale not thinking theres a big
    > enough market.
    >
    > That Zshop Fright looks to be a video to me rather than a DVD.
    > So it's looking as though it's an R1 release only for DVD so
    > far.
    >
    > To answer your question re PowerDVD hack in your original post,
    > you need two things, one to make sure your DVD drive is region
    > free (to do this you may need to flash the firmware, be warned
    > this can break it if not done properly.). Two to get yourself a
    > copy of DVD genie that you can use to change region. (It's
    > free).
    >
    > Go to www.imatrix.com for more info.
    >
    > I believe there is some program you can buy that means you don't
    > have to flash the DVD drive firmware, but I can't remember the
    > name. A google search should produce it.
    >
    > Nick

    Thanks! Yes, you're right, I 'am' very new to DVD and it's all a bit much
    for a newbie.
    My drive is a Panasonic but it's an oem (Gateway) drive and flashing it
    could be a costly mistake.
    I'd love to do it, but I ain't got the balls for it! :)
    I too thought the offer on Amazon was for a VHS tape rather than DVD, but
    wasn't too sure.
    Maybe I should just get the NTSC version, but as for how I'm going to view
    it...'hmm!!
    I have a standalone DVD player in the house too, but I don't know if there
    is a way to make it play NTSC (in colour).
    The DVD player is a SuperVision 2500 and seems pretty basic. I know very
    little about hacks/codes etc.,.
    My TV is a Sony 28" Trinitron widescreen, but is a PAL only and might not
    play an NTSC DVD even if I did find a hack for my DVD player....'or would
    it?! Complicated stuff for me I'm afraid.
    Geo.

    NoOne, Aug 12, 2003

  3. KentuckyBootleg

    Lithurge Guest

    "NoOne" <> wrote in

    > Thanks! Yes, you're right, I 'am' very new to DVD and it's
    > all a bit much for a newbie.
    > My drive is a Panasonic but it's an oem (Gateway) drive and
    > flashing it could be a costly mistake.
    > I'd love to do it, but I ain't got the balls for it! :)
    > I too thought the offer on Amazon was for a VHS tape rather
    > than DVD, but wasn't too sure.
    > Maybe I should just get the NTSC version, but as for how
    > I'm going to view it...'hmm!!
    > I have a standalone DVD player in the house too, but I
    > don't know if there is a way to make it play NTSC (in
    > colour). The DVD player is a SuperVision 2500 and seems
    > pretty basic. I know very little about hacks/codes etc.,.
    > My TV is a Sony 28" Trinitron widescreen, but is a PAL only
    > and might not play an NTSC DVD even if I did find a hack
    > for my DVD player....'or would it?! Complicated stuff for
    > me I'm afraid. Geo.

    Welcome to a wonderful world :)

    You'll find a lot of very helpful info here:

    http://www.dvd.reviewer.co.uk/umdvdfaq/

    Most UK players will output a 'fake' PAL from NTSC discs that
    a PAL TV will cope with, not sure on your make, nor even if
    it's multi region. Having said that a lot of the less well
    known brands are multi region out of the box.

    If it isn't & you've got a bit of spare cash then it may be
    worth checking Argos out for their Alba players, as these are
    cheap, region free & you can always take them back if you or
    your TV don't like them. Or you can get pre-flashed pc drives
    (my pioneer cost about £50 - £60 from www.overclockers.co.uk)

    This is the program for PC I mentioned that avoids flashing
    the bios, you get a free trial, but at some point you have to
    stump up $40.

    http://www.dvdidle.com/

    I've not used it myself, so have no idea how effective it is.

    Lithurge, Aug 12, 2003