Re: Surely This Cannot Be Correct

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Ralph Wade Phillips, Jun 22, 2003.

  1. Howdy!

    "Steve Pounder" <stevepounder@.FIREPERSON.blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

    > "Ralph Wade Phillips" <> wrote in message

    > > Then they ARE recovery / restore disks. Win98SE came on ONE -

    > count
    > > it, ONE - CD.
    > >
    > > Those disks are locked to something inside a Packard Bell.
    > >
    > > What, you expect them to make it easy to steal the software?
    > >
    > > RwP

    > I expected to have the full win 98 se systems disks.
    > Should I have to format will these disks be sufficient for a full restore?

    For that Packard-Bell? Yes. For anything else? No.

    BTW - It actually IS the "full Win98" system, it's just locked to
    (typically!) the BIOS copyright.

    Hence the "Recovery / Restore Disk" nomenclature.

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Jun 22, 2003

  2. Howdy!

    > "Ralph Wade Phillips" <> wrote in message

    > > BTW - It actually IS the "full Win98" system, it's just locked

    > > (typically!) the BIOS copyright.
    > >
    > > Hence the "Recovery / Restore Disk" nomenclature.
    > >
    > > RwP

    > Good Evening
    >
    > Thanks for the info.
    > I paid good money for the machine and expected to have full Win disks.

    And what part is "it actually IS the 'Full Win98' system, it's just
    locked to the BIOS" don't you understand?

    There's a reason why they paid $15 to $25, and the retail was right
    at $150 for a full copy of Win98SE.

    > Credit to Packard Bell that I have never had to format c:
    > Maybe a PB is that good that a format is never required :)

    Most HDs are that good, yes. But you COULD reload that PB no
    problem with the recovery disks.

    So, what's the problem?

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Jun 22, 2003