Re: Surely This Cannot Be Correct

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Prof, Jun 22, 2003.

  1. Prof

    Prof Guest

    Machines like Packard Bell that come with proprietary versions of Windows
    will use the identity of the cdrom drive to make sure it is being installed
    on the right machine, sometimes there will be a reference to Oak
    Technologies identifying the drive as was the case with an NEC I had that
    had a restore disk but for some strange reason even though it gave the
    error
    message it might continue to with the install on another machine.

    "ToGrok" <> wrote in message
    > I would look in the folders on the disk for a Win98 or Win9x folder and
    > install from there. If your friend is trying to install from the root
    > directory they would get that error.
    >
    > "Steve Pounder" <stevepounder@.FIREPERSON.blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in

    message

    Prof, Jun 22, 2003

  2. Prof

    UKALUM85 Guest

    You can do it, but you will have to make a custom autoexec file to do it.
    If you are running from a cd you will have to use a floppy disk to start the
    computer and point it to the setup.exe on the cd or autorun.exe to install
    it.

    UKALUM85, Jun 22, 2003

  3. "Prof" <> wrote in message
    > Machines like Packard Bell that come with proprietary versions of Windows
    > will use the identity of the cdrom drive to make sure it is being

    installed
    > on the right machine, sometimes there will be a reference to Oak
    > Technologies identifying the drive as was the case with an NEC I had that
    > had a restore disk but for some strange reason even though it gave the
    > error
    > message it might continue to with the install on another machine.

    Thanks

    Steve Pounder, Jun 22, 2003
  4. "UKALUM85" <> wrote in message
    > You can do it, but you will have to make a custom autoexec file to do it.
    > If you are running from a cd you will have to use a floppy disk to start

    the
    > computer and point it to the setup.exe on the cd or autorun.exe to install
    > it.

    Thanks.

    When the time comes I will go for that.
    5 years & no format.
    Have to respect Packard Bell for that I suppose.

    Steve Pounder, Jun 22, 2003