Re: Surely This Cannot Be Correct

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Steve Pounder, Jun 21, 2003.

  1. "He who doth Slump a lot" <> wrote in message
    > "Quit the smart-ass comments" they said, so I forgot all about doing an
    > intro and listened as Steve Pounder said
    >
    > > Guess that you are correct.
    > > Does not seem to be very fair though does it.

    > See it from PB's point of view. They paid for it, they can fiddle with it,
    > and if they want to customise it for their machines, that's why they paid
    > $millions in the first place.
    > --
    > slumpy
    > no more
    > no less
    > just slumpy

    Sigh!
    Yeah, you are right.
    Does that mean when I buy a new pc I do not get all of the running system?
    If I have to format will the disks that I have be sufficient?

    Respects to Slumpy
    Helped me & many others out in the past.

    Steve Pounder, Jun 21, 2003

  2. Steve Pounder

    Kráftéé Guest

    > "He who doth Slump a lot" <> wrote in message
    >> "Quit the smart-ass comments" they said, so I forgot all about

    doing
    >> an intro and listened as Steve Pounder said
    >>
    >>> Guess that you are correct.
    >>> Does not seem to be very fair though does it.

    >> See it from PB's point of view. They paid for it, they can fiddle
    >> with it, and if they want to customise it for their machines,

    that's
    >> why they paid $millions in the first place.
    >> --
    >> slumpy
    >> no more
    >> no less
    >> just slumpy

    > Sigh!
    > Yeah, you are right.
    > Does that mean when I buy a new pc I do not get all of the running
    > system? If I have to format will the disks that I have be

    sufficient?

    Normally you get a n other install disk (or should that be disks) with
    your new machine (probably XP nowadays).

    --
    B-)

    Here I go again.....

    Kráftéé, Jun 21, 2003

  3. "Kráftéé" <> wrote in message
    > > "He who doth Slump a lot" <> wrote in message
    > >> "Quit the smart-ass comments" they said, so I forgot all about

    > doing
    > >> an intro and listened as Steve Pounder said

    > >> See it from PB's point of view. They paid for it, they can fiddle
    > >> with it, and if they want to customise it for their machines,

    > that's
    > >> why they paid $millions in the first place.
    > >> --
    > >> slumpy
    > >> no more
    > >> no less
    > >> just slumpy

    > > Sigh!
    > > Yeah, you are right.
    > > Does that mean when I buy a new pc I do not get all of the running
    > > system? If I have to format will the disks that I have be

    > sufficient?
    > >

    > Normally you get a n other install disk (or should that be disks) with
    > your new machine (probably XP nowadays).
    >
    > --
    > B-)
    >
    > Here I go again.....

    I got 2 Master disks + one recovery on floppy.
    Slumpy, if I format will this be enough?

    Steve Pounder, Jun 21, 2003
  4. "Quit the smart-ass comments" they said, so I forgot all about doing an
    intro and listened as Steve Pounder said

    > "He who doth Slump a lot" <> wrote in message
    >> "Quit the smart-ass comments" they said, so I forgot all about doing
    >> an intro and listened as Steve Pounder said
    >>
    >>> Guess that you are correct.
    >>> Does not seem to be very fair though does it.

    >> See it from PB's point of view. They paid for it, they can fiddle
    >> with it, and if they want to customise it for their machines, that's
    >> why they paid $millions in the first place.
    >> --
    >> slumpy
    >> no more
    >> no less
    >> just slumpy

    > Sigh!
    > Yeah, you are right.
    > Does that mean when I buy a new pc I do not get all of the running
    > system? If I have to format will the disks that I have be sufficient?
    >
    > Respects to Slumpy
    > Helped me & many others out in the past.

    No, all credit goes to those I read and learn from. Everything I do is
    secondhand, and really belongs to Mike, Mara, Trout, Why?, Brian H, Boomer
    and too many others to get into listing here.
    --
    slumpy
    no more

    He who doth Slump a lot, Jun 21, 2003
  5. "Quit the smart-ass comments" they said, so I forgot all about doing an
    intro and listened as Kráftéé said

    >> "He who doth Slump a lot" <> wrote in message
    >>> "Quit the smart-ass comments" they said, so I forgot all about doing
    >>> an intro and listened as Steve Pounder said

    >>> See it from PB's point of view. They paid for it, they can fiddle
    >>> with it, and if they want to customise it for their machines, that's
    >>> why they paid $millions in the first place.
    >>> --
    >>> slumpy
    >>> no more
    >>> no less
    >>> just slumpy

    >> Sigh!
    >> Yeah, you are right.
    >> Does that mean when I buy a new pc I do not get all of the running
    >> system? If I have to format will the disks that I have be sufficient?
    >>

    > Normally you get a n other install disk (or should that be disks) with
    > your new machine (probably XP nowadays).

    I have been told that some XP machines come with the installation programs
    on a small partition, so you don't need the disc, and making it uncopyable
    ;-(
    --
    slumpy
    no more

    He who doth Slump a lot, Jun 21, 2003
  6. "He who doth Slump a lot" <> wrote in message
    > "Quit the smart-ass comments" they said, so I forgot all about doing an
    > intro and listened as Steve Pounder said
    >
    > > "He who doth Slump a lot" <> wrote in message
    > >> "Quit the smart-ass comments" they said, so I forgot all about doing
    > >> an intro and listened as Steve Pounder said

    > >> See it from PB's point of view. They paid for it, they can fiddle
    > >> with it, and if they want to customise it for their machines, that's
    > >> why they paid $millions in the first place.
    > >> --
    > >> slumpy
    > >> no more
    > >> no less
    > >> just slumpy

    > > Sigh!
    > > Yeah, you are right.
    > > Does that mean when I buy a new pc I do not get all of the running
    > > system? If I have to format will the disks that I have be sufficient?
    > >
    > > Respects to Slumpy
    > > Helped me & many others out in the past.

    > No, all credit goes to those I read and learn from. Everything I do is
    > secondhand, and really belongs to Mike, Mara, Trout, Why?, Brian H, Boomer
    > and too many others to get into listing here.

    Credit also goes to you.
    I have read the above a lot, never guessed that Boomer is a lady.
    What about if I format, will I be okay with the disks that I have.
    I suppose that is a silly question, just getting a bit nervous that's all.

    Steve Pounder, Jun 21, 2003
  7. "Quit the smart-ass comments" they said, so I forgot all about doing an
    intro and listened as Steve Pounder said

    > What about if I format, will I be okay with the disks that I have.
    > I suppose that is a silly question, just getting a bit nervous that's
    > all.

    When I used my Tiny (achachach) recovery discs on my old machine I still had
    to install Windows from a separate disc :-(
    --
    slumpy
    no more

    He who doth Slump a lot, Jun 21, 2003
  8. "Phineas P. Hornswaggle" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 21 Jun 2003 20:26:22 GMT, "Steve Pounder"
    > <stevepounder@.FIREPERSON.blueyonder.co.uk> ripped off his/her
    > clothing and screamed to the world:
    >

    > >"He who doth Slump a lot" <> wrote in message
    > >> "Quit the smart-ass comments" they said, so I forgot all about doing an
    > >> intro and listened as Steve Pounder said

    > >> See it from PB's point of view. They paid for it, they can fiddle with

    it,
    > >> and if they want to customise it for their machines, that's why they

    paid
    > >> $millions in the first place.
    > >> --
    > >> slumpy
    > >> no more
    > >> no less
    > >> just slumpy

    > >Sigh!
    > >Yeah, you are right.
    > >Does that mean when I buy a new pc I do not get all of the running

    system?
    > >If I have to format will the disks that I have be sufficient?

    > As long as you do not change hard drives you are ok with the restore
    > disks, the firmware is designed to format all but the core for a
    > reformat. In other words, you only get part of the OS on the CD's the
    > rest of it is hardwired into the hard disk itself. Compaq does the
    > same thing with their machines, they also add a pile of other crapware
    > onto the system that is so integrated into the OS that it is
    > practically impossible to be rid of it without getting a whole new
    > box.
    >

    > >Respects to Slumpy
    > >Helped me & many others out in the past.

    Thanks

    I will print off info just in case it has to be done.

    Steve Pounder, Jun 22, 2003