Re: Super-Zoom P&S Camera Beats DSLR (again) - OFF TOPIC

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Colin.D, Nov 20, 2008.

  1. Colin.D

    Colin.D Guest

    Morey Staffer wrote:

    > http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon_PowerShot_SX10_IS/outdoor_results.shtml

    In case your zealousness for your shitty little P&S has carried you
    completely away, toy cameras are off-topic in
    rec.photo.digital.slr-systems. Especially as you are bad-mouthing dslrs
    in favor of an off-topic camera.

    I am not going to enter any debate over the imaginary benefits of your
    little toy; suffice to say that you and your ilk are just ignorant
    pretenders to the art of photography - which is far and away past mere
    technical considerations.

    P&S cameras are ok at what they are intended for, which is definitely
    not professional photography. Any attempt to say they are equivalent or
    better than dslrs is just pissing in the wind.

    Colin D.
    Colin.D, Nov 20, 2008

  2. Colin.D

    Steve Guest

    Re: Super-Zoom P&S Camera Beats DSLR (again) - Film at 11

    On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 16:27:45 -0600, Gabe Atquist
    <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 11:12:51 +1300, "Colin.D" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Morey Staffer wrote:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon_PowerShot_SX10_IS/outdoor_results.shtml
    >>>

    >>In case your zealousness for your shitty little P&S has carried you
    >>completely away, toy cameras are off-topic in
    >>rec.photo.digital.slr-systems. Especially as you are bad-mouthing dslrs
    >>in favor of an off-topic camera.
    >>
    >>I am not going to enter any debate over the imaginary benefits of your
    >>little toy; suffice to say that you and your ilk are just ignorant
    >>pretenders to the art of photography - which is far and away past mere
    >>technical considerations.
    >>
    >>P&S cameras are ok at what they are intended for, which is definitely
    >>not professional photography. Any attempt to say they are equivalent or
    >>better than dslrs is just pissing in the wind.
    >>
    >>Colin D.

    >Heaven knows you DSLR worshippers can't stop from bad-mouthing P&S cameras every
    >time you open your mouths or get on your keyboards. Now that the tables are
    >turned its not fair? Really.
    >
    >This very much has to do with DSLR equipment. It shows that your misplaced
    >camera devotion is quickly being surpassed by lighter, quieter, more efficient,
    >less expensive. Did you cry when you lost your job at that buggy-whip factory
    >too?
    >
    >Awww... what's the matter, did another P&S camera beat another DSLR? Why does it
    >bother you so that in the hands of a real professional there's is no difference
    >and many advantages to shooting with a P&S compared to a cumbersome, noisy,
    >focal-plane-shutter-crippled DSLR.
    >
    >You'll get over it. Just like you got over the use of antiquated film.
    >
    >Some people just have to be dragged and kicking into the 21st century.

    So according to you, the 21st century means we have to accept crappy
    pictures?

    You really think those P&S pictures look good? No wonder you like P&S
    cameras. You're satisfied with crap. I don't think those DSLR
    pictures are so hot either. But at least with the DSLR, you have the
    option to improve them. With the P&S, you're stuck with crappy
    images. But at least they're smaller.

    Steve
    Steve, Nov 20, 2008

  3. Re: Super-Zoom P&S Camera Beats DSLR (again) - Film at 11

    Berstein Connors <> wrote:

    > Dear Resident-Troll,

    Dear wannabe-Troll,
    you are an idiot, copy and pasting the same rant under tons
    of fake names.

    Worse, your rant is wrong. I'll show some highlights:

    > 1. P&S cameras can have more seamless zoom range than any DSLR glass in
    > existence.

    Good luck finding a 100x zoom P&S. Canon makes some for
    HDTV. Proof that P&S is worse than television. Case closed.

    > with some of the new super-zoom P&S cameras, you can far surpass any
    > range of focal-lengths and apertures that are available or will ever be made for
    > larger format cameras.

    There are many, many old and new 50mm f/1.4 and faster lenses for
    DSLRs. (Let's ignore the f/1.2 and f/1.0 variants.) Which P&S
    matches them in either speed or shallowness of DOF?

    > 2. P&S cameras can have much wider apertures at longer focal lengths than any
    > DSLR glass in existence. (E.g. 549mm f/2.4 and 1248mm f/3.5)

    Sigma's 300-800mm, f/2.8, 4/3rds camera. Instant 1600mm
    f/2.8, no converters needed.

    > 3. P&S smaller sensor cameras can and do have wider dynamic range than larger
    > sensor cameras E.g. a 1/2.5" sized sensor can have a 10.3EV Dynamic Range vs. an
    > APS-C's typical 7.0-8.0EV Dynamic Range. One quick example:
    > http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3142/2861257547_9a7ceaf3a1_o.jpg

    Nice proof from you that the S3 has only 8 EV visible DR, while
    http://clarkvision.com/imagedetail/digital.sensor.performance.summary/index.html
    shows all listed DSLRs either at ~12 or ~14EV, depending on a 12
    or 14 bit D/A converter.

    > 8. P&S cameras can have shutter speeds up to 1/40,000th of a second.

    If you want a white card in full midday sunlight look like an
    *underexposed* gray card, that's a setting for you.

    > image destroying, subject irritating, natural-look destroying flash.

    Only idiots assume flash must be bad just because they can't handle it properly.

    > 13. P&S cameras include video,

    5D MkII. Full HD video. Excellent low light quality at
    unbelievable high ISO settings. Capabilities like shallow focus
    and tilt-shift aren't matched by any P&S.

    > 14. P&S cameras have 100% viewfinder coverage

    No, they haven't. The dark holes they call viewfinder are
    parallax ridden and anything but 100%.

    > 15. P&S cameras can and do focus in lower-light (which is common in natural
    > settings) than any DSLRs in existence,

    That's a belly laugh.

    > Some P&S cameras can even take images (AND videos) in total darkness by
    > using IR illumination alone. (See: Sony)

    With image destroying, natural look destroying IR glare.

    > No other multi-purpose cameras are
    > capable of taking still-frame and videos of nocturnal wildlife as easily nor as
    > well.

    You can have the IR filter removd (and use a drop in IR filter
    or visible light filter as needed). Poof, DSLR beats P&S. Again.

    > Shooting videos and still-frames of nocturnal animals in the total-dark,
    > without disturbing their natural behavior by the use of flash, from 90 ft. away
    > with a 549mm f/2.4 lens is not only possible, it's been done, many times, by
    > myself.

    Show the shots ... thought so.

    > 19. An electronic viewfinder, as exists in all P&S cameras,

    "An electronic viewfinder or EVF is a viewfinder where the
    image captured by the lens is projected electronically onto a
    miniature display." "Electronic viewfinders [...] have only
    recently intruded the field of compact cameras (with the
    Ricoh GX100) and of DSLR "alikes" (Panasonic DMC-G1[...])"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_viewfinder

    At least learn the difference between "electronic viewfinder"
    and "live preview"

    Some P&S cameras don't even have life view, but only a poxy,
    parallax-ridden look-through hole that doubles as a view finder.

    In other words, you spout crap.

    > Giving you a 100% accurate preview of
    > what your final subject is going to look like when shot at 3 seconds or
    > 1/20,000th of a second.

    Sure, because the "predict 3 seconds into the future" chips
    are added to all P&S.

    > What you see in a P&S camera is truly what you get.

    So how comes all my P&S cameras (plural!) don't show that
    behaviour?

    > 20. P&S cameras can obtain the very same bokeh (out of focus foreground and
    > background) as any DSLR by just increasing your focal length, through use of its
    > own built-in super-zoom lens or attaching a high-quality telextender on the
    > front.

    Lenses influence the bokeh. I challenge you to produce the bokeh
    of a 500mm f/8 mirror lens, and the same DOF (3.51cm) as a 1.6x
    crop DSLR produces from 4 meters distance.

    > Just back up from your subject

    Just back up if your lens is too long and get closer if it's
    too short. See, a 50mm lens covers all the 9-1248mm range.
    Or: "Excuse me while I'll go and knock down a few city blocks to
    get my bokeh."

    > 21. P&S cameras will have perfectly fine noise-free images at lower ISOs with
    > just as much resolution as any DSLR camera.

    Resolution? 2MPix P&S versus 21 MPix DSLR?
    In broad daylight P&S cameras are at their best.

    > Experienced Pros grew up on ISO25
    > and ISO64 film all their lives. They won't even care if their P&S camera can't
    > go above ISO400 without noise.

    I see, no pro ever shot indoor sports!

    > 22. Don't for one minute think that the price of your camera will in any way
    > determine the quality of your photography.

    If you cannot shoot, no camera can hold you back, ever.

    > 23. Have you ever had the fun of showing some of your exceptional P&S
    > photography

    Please show some examples.

    > 25. A good P&S camera is a good theft deterrent.

    "Please don't steal me, I'm only worth $500, easy to take,
    easy to hide and --- unlike that 600mm f/4 --- noone will
    wonder why you carry me".

    > There are many more reasons to add to this list but this should be more than
    > enough for even the most unaware person to realize that P&S cameras are just
    > better, all around. No doubt about it.

    Oy. Now show your shots.

    -Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Nov 30, 2008
  4. Re: Super-Zoom P&S Camera Beats DSLR (again) - Film at 11

    randall scott <> wrote:

    Dear idiot,

    > It's clear that you've never held any camera, nor ever done any photography.

    ROFL. You made my day.

    How about learning to quote correctly, i.e. unlike a moron?

    -Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Dec 6, 2008
  5. Re: Super-Zoom P&S Camera Beats DSLR (again) - Film at 11

    FamirW <> wrote:
    > On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 19:20:48 GMT, JT's Keeper <>

    > 1. P&S cameras can have more seamless zoom range than any DSLR glass in

    [328 lines cancelled]

    Please look up the Breidbart Index:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breidbart_Index
    Do go on posting that crap, and we can cancel it as spam.

    -Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Dec 6, 2008
  6. Re: Super-Zoom P&S Camera Beats DSLR (again) - Film at 11

    "Wolfgang Weisselberg" <> wrote in message

    > Please look up the Breidbart Index:
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breidbart_Index

    I wonder if that's the same Seth Breidbart with whom I used to play chess
    during the 1960's?
    Andrew Koenig, Dec 6, 2008
  7. Re: Super-Zoom P&S Camera Beats DSLR (again) - Film at 11

    ? "JamisonJ.Eistner" <> ?????? ??? ??????
    > On Sat, 6 Dec 2008 17:13:40 +0100, Wolfgang Weisselberg
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>randall scott <> wrote:
    >>
    >>Dear idiot,
    >>
    >>> It's clear that you've never held any camera, nor ever done any
    >>> photography.

    >>ROFL. You made my day.
    >>
    >>How about learning to quote correctly, i.e. unlike a moron?
    >>
    >>-Wolfgang

    <snip>
    Arrogantes Arschloch! (Nich Du, natuerlich, Wolfgang, sondern dieser
    infamoeser Vollidiot).
    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios, Dec 7, 2008