Re: suggestions for wireless signal amplifier

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Keshav Sharma, Apr 10, 2010.

  1. On 4/10/2010 8:02 AM, t wrote:
    > We need to boost the wireless signal coming into the office. Is using a
    > Linksys
    > router(http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16833124190)
    > and DD-WRT firmware to turn the router into a signal repeater an
    > advisable choice?
    >
    > Or, are there options we could look into?
    >

    > Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated.
    >
    > We looked into getting a wireless access point, but it involves more
    > cost and is a much longer process.

    Are you a commercial IP?
    If yes, ask your ISP to provide you a repeater,
    they will charge something but that damn thing will be ISP Approved and
    will allow you to use the signals at the desired frequency.

    Keshav Sharma, Apr 10, 2010

  2. On 4/10/2010 10:37 AM, Evan Platt wrote:
    > On Sat, 10 Apr 2010 10:29:13 +0530, Keshav Sharma
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Are you a commercial IP?

    > IP = Internet Provider? The OP sounds like someone in an office.
    >
    >> If yes, ask your ISP to provide you a repeater,

    > What?!?
    >
    >> they will charge something but that damn thing will be ISP Approved

    > "ISP Approved"? What?
    >
    >> and will allow you to use the signals at the desired frequency.

    > Oh my.
    >
    > Chucktard, is that you?

    IP= User definition(Commercial or Residential)
    Repeater=amplifier to amplify signals
    ISP Approved= You can't buy one and use on your lines,
    your ISP might ban(quarantine your modem) you!, if they find out about
    you using one on the lines. So, better get it from the ISP.
    They will set the range at which customer finds it usable.
    Now that is to be understood even by some dumb.

    Keshav Sharma, Apr 10, 2010

  3. On 4/10/2010 11:05 AM, Evan Platt wrote:
    > On Sat, 10 Apr 2010 11:00:35 +0530, Keshav Sharma
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> IP= User definition(Commercial or Residential)

    > Huh?
    >
    >> Repeater=amplifier to amplify signals

    > I know what a "Repeater" is.
    >
    >> ISP Approved= You can't buy one and use on your lines,

    > Really? You can't?
    >
    >> your ISP might ban(quarantine your modem) you!, if they find out about
    >> you using one on the lines. So, better get it from the ISP.

    > You're kidding, right? I don't know where in the world you are, but
    > here in America, most ISP's don't provide repeaters of any sort. You
    > want to use one, go out and buy it.
    >
    > Put it behind a router, they'll never know, and there's no reason for
    > them to 'quarantine your modem'.
    >
    >> They will set the range at which customer finds it usable.

    > Umm... Ok.
    >
    >> Now that is to be understood even by some dumb.

    > Before you go and call anyone else dumb.... Umm.. Shit, never mind, I
    > give up.

    Richard, is that you?
    I work for RoadRunner, however, thanks for that "Put it behind a router"
    thing.

    Keshav Sharma, Apr 10, 2010
  4. Keshav Sharma

    floffy3 Guest

    >I work for RoadRunner, however, thanks for that "Put it behind a router"
    >thing.

    Dad Not a Good ideal , Lot of people will Bitch You !!!!!!!!!

    floffy3, Apr 10, 2010