Re: Suggestions for Novice

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by David J Taylor, Jun 9, 2008.

  1. David J. Littleboy wrote:
    []
    > But the D40 can't AF with the 50/1.8 (which is US$79.95, for either
    > Canon or Nikon). If the niece wants to learn about and work with DOF,
    > it's nice to have an f/2.0 or faster lens, and to be able to pick up
    > the cheaper of the ones used (e.g. 85/1.8, 35/2.0 (also no AF with
    > the D40)) at a later date.
    > So a used Canon 400D with kit lens + 50/1.8 would be a better way to
    > go. (The 300D would be another sensible option, but it's rather slow
    > in displaying and saving images.)
    >
    > David J. Littleboy
    > Tokyo, Japan

    Yes, both Canon and Nikon have low-cost offerings. For someone taking
    care over the production of images - where a couple of seconds extra
    doesn't matter - the manual focus might be a useful learning tool. I do
    agree that it would be good to see Nikon offering some wider-aperture,
    non-zoom, AF lenses for the D40/D40x/D60.

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Jun 9, 2008

  2. David J Taylor

    John Turco Guest

    David J Taylor wrote:

    <edited for brevity>

    > Yes, both Canon and Nikon have low-cost offerings. For someone taking
    > care over the production of images - where a couple of seconds extra
    > doesn't matter - the manual focus might be a useful learning tool. I do
    > agree that it would be good to see Nikon offering some wider-aperture,
    > non-zoom, AF lenses for the D40/D40x/D60.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > David

    Hello, David:

    Why are you advocating the purchase of >any< DSLR, for a mere beginner, eh?
    Does such a poor fledgling deserve to be bothered by relatively expensive,
    bulky and heavy camera bodies and lenses, dusty image sensors, external
    flash units and other assorted accessories, etc.?

    You should be ashamed of yourself...you demon, you! :-D

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>
    John Turco, Jun 14, 2008

  3. John Turco wrote:
    []
    > Hello, David:
    >
    > Why are you advocating the purchase of >any< DSLR, for a mere
    > beginner, eh? Does such a poor fledgling deserve to be bothered by
    > relatively expensive, bulky and heavy camera bodies and lenses, dusty
    > image sensors, external flash units and other assorted accessories,
    > etc.?
    >
    > You should be ashamed of yourself...you demon, you! :-D
    >

    > Cordially,
    > John Turco

    <G>

    I recall that shallow depth of field was of high importance. The great
    thing about today's DSLRs is there are lightweight and compact cameras and
    lenses in the range, flash can be built-in, and the other assorted
    accessories are no longer essential to producing decent images. For the
    beginner, they also work in a point-and-shoot mode (something missing from
    my Nikon F3).

    I still take my compact Panasonic TZ3 where I want something which fits in
    the pocket, and its image-stabilised 28 - 280mm zoom fits my needs well.
    It makes nice short movies too.

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Jun 14, 2008