Re: Sudden instability in IE6 on W98

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by °Mike°, Jun 25, 2003.

  1. °Mike°

    °Mike° Guest

    Boot into DOS (hold the CTRL key at bootup and choose
    Command Prompt Only), and run NDD from DOS. Type:

    ndd /c

    Then boot into Safe Mode and scandisk/defrag (NOT Norton).

    Boot back into normal mode and perform some system maintenance.

    Basic system maintenance:

    · Close I.E. and empty your temporary internet files from
    Control Panel / Internet Options. Be sure to check the
    box to include offline content.

    · Clean up unnecessary files from your hard drive. HDValet
    performs this well, and is highly configurable.

    http://www.filelibrary.com:8080/cgi-bin/freedownload/Multi-Platform/n/105/hdvalet.zip

    · Make sure that you do not have too many files and folders in
    'My Documents'. Create new folders *outside* of 'My Documents'
    and move stuff to the new folders.

    · Clean up your registry (you MUST read the FAQs):
    Jv16 Power Tools
    http://www.vtoy.fi/jv16/shtml/jv16powertools.shtml
    EasyCleaner
    http://www.toniarts.com/ecleane.htm

    · Streamline your startups - disable what is not necessary:
    http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.htm
    http://www.greatis.com/regrun3startupprograms.htm
    http://www.greatis.com/regrun3necessary.htm

    · Reboot and immediately empty your Windows\Temp folder.

    · Empty your recycle bin.

    · Keep your system well maintained.

    On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 23:48:48 GMT, in
    <Ar5Ka.43410$>
    Rusty Lillico scrawled:

    --
    STGP, OGPE24HSHD

    °Mike°, Jun 25, 2003

  2. Thanks Mike, I'll try all this in the morning, when my fingers work better.
    In the meantime, what do you think is happening here? Obviously, a Registry
    error, but why these few sites?

    Rustiferion

    Rusty Lillico, Jun 25, 2003

  3. °Mike°

    °Mike° Guest

    I don't think it's a registry problem, per se. My concern
    is that SpeedDisk was reporting unable to read from certain
    sectors. SpeedDisk takes TOTAL control of the system, and
    should be able to manipulate ANY part of the drive - even
    the swap file. I suspect that there may be bad sectors or
    clusters on your drive - hence my recommendation to run
    NDD from DOS, and then scandisk from Safe Mode.
    Bad sectors/clusters can cause unexpected, and seemingly
    unrelated errors. You need to check that out first.

    On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 07:12:54 GMT, in
    <WXbKa.45333$>
    Rusty Lillico scrawled:

    °Mike°, Jun 25, 2003