Re: Substitute static bag

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Paul, Mar 4, 2010.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Steve B wrote:
    > I can't lay hands on an old static bag to take my RAM chip in to duplicate
    > it. What is an acceptable substitute? Wrap with Kleenex then inside a
    > ZipLock? Other?
    >
    > Steve

    No!

    An antistatic bag is special. It has, at the very least, a "slightly
    conductive" layer on the inside of the bag. The purpose of a
    "slightly conductive" layer, is to dissipate static discharges
    slowly, with lowered peak amperes of current flow, during
    the discharge.

    If you wrap the RAM in tin foil, the tin foil is an extremely
    good conductor. When you bring a finger up to the foil,
    and "zap" it, a spark flies. The spark implies a high current flow.
    If the high current flows into one DRAM pin, it could damage
    something.

    So if you are to construct your own antistatic solution, it should be
    of the "slightly conducting variety". You cannot even trust the
    "color" of a plastic bag as an indicator. I've seen pink bags available
    as antistatic containers, as well as pink bags that are not antistatic.

    The "smoked" color bags are likely all antistatic.

    The plastic tray that DIMMs come in, are also antistatic. There wouldn't
    be much point to make them from regular plastic.

    An antistatic bag probably has a notation on it, to that effect.

    Perhaps you could take pictures of the module with a camera,
    and bring the pictures to the store with you. Or bring a USB
    stick with the pictures on it.

    At one time, I used to proudly wrap electronics in tin foil (doh!).
    Until I read up on the subject, and discovered the purpose
    of the antistatic bag and why it is constructed that way.
    It is for gently equalizing charge. No more tin foil for me
    (except to make hats :) ).

    *******

    If you want help with your RAM purchase, please post the
    HP model details, such as "Dimension 8400". Or alternately,
    if you can read off the motherboard model number, that can
    also be used to find details.

    The program CPUZ from cpuid.com can also be used to read
    out some details about your hardware.

    Post whatever you can, for more advice.

    For example, if you have an NForce2 chipset on the board, and
    it will run the memory at PC3200, I recommend CAS2 modules for
    that. In a lot of other cases, just about any PC3200 memory
    can be used to fill the slots.

    Some single channel motherboards, have a "slot loading" curve.
    They may run one module at PC3200, two modules at PC2700 speeds,
    three modules at PC2100 speed. If you use a couple PC3200 modules,
    those modules can be run at slower speeds. (Faster modules are
    backward compatible with slower speed operation.) The BIOS can perform
    the adjustment, or you may be able to enter the BIOS and set the
    speed yourself. Only goofy chipsets, like the Nforce2, may require
    some assistance, if you're trying to run at the top speed they
    (almost) support.

    There are a couple motherboards, where the BIOS is just plain
    defective, and installing PC3200 causes the BIOS to crash.
    (The built-in graphics is run too fast, and becomes unstable.)
    But such behavior is an exception, rather than the norm.

    If you order your memory straight from Kingston or Crucial, they
    have a search engine on the web site, that can point you at
    compatible options.

    Or, you can give hardware details, and someone here can help you out.

    Paul
    Paul, Mar 4, 2010