Re: Stuff that used to be there

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Whiskers, Mar 26, 2010.

  1. Whiskers

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2010-03-26, Baaaaaaaa! <> wrote:
    > Used to be, when I saved things in my various programs (WinXP) there
    > was a dialog asking me where I wanted to save things.
    > There was some stuff up the side, "History", "My Documents",
    > "Desktop", "Favorites", "My Network Places.'
    >
    > Now I only get those options in Word. The rest of my software shows me
    > where the stuff was but ain't no more.
    >
    > This explains it better'n me:
    > http://omjewelry.net/Stuff/missingstuff.htm
    >
    > How can I get my stuff back?

    What happens when you click on the various icons to the right of the 'Save
    in' box?

    Notice that the Word file is going to be saved as "Doc2.doc" in a folder
    called "Viking_Pin_Files" whereas the Paintshop file is going to be saved
    as "ls.jpg" in a folder called "CeliasCat" (? - indistinct image). One or
    another of the icons in the Paintshop dialogue box should allow you to
    navigate back out of the "CeliasCat" folder.

    Why MS Word lists folders that (presumably) aren't inside the
    "Viking_Pin_Files" file whereas Paintshop appears to list folders that are
    available inside "CeliasCat", I don't know.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Mar 26, 2010

  2. Whiskers

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2010-03-27, Baaaaaaaa! <> wrote:
    > Once upon a time, in a newsgroup called 24hoursupport.helpdesk on Fri,
    > 26 Mar 2010 23:03:10 +0000 we were all amazed to see Whiskers
    > <> write:

    [...]

    > Yes, its the shortcuts I wish would return.
    > No doubt *some* setting was changed (by me) but I'll be ding-danged if
    > I know which one. I just figgered one of y'all smart fellers could
    > tell me which setting I mighta changed...

    Let me guess, you still haven't put your mouse pointer over any of the
    little icons on the right of the 'toolbar' at the top of the file save
    dialogue in Paintshop ... let alone clicked ...

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Mar 27, 2010

  3. Whiskers

    John Holmes Guest

    Baaaaaaaa! "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > Everyone was getting along swimmingly in 24hoursupport.helpdesk on or
    > about Sat, 27 Mar 2010 00:25:50 +0000 when Whiskers
    > <> fucked everything up by saying:
    >
    >>On 2010-03-27, Baaaaaaaa! <> wrote:
    >>> Once upon a time, in a newsgroup called 24hoursupport.helpdesk on

    Fri,
    >>> 26 Mar 2010 23:03:10 +0000 we were all amazed to see Whiskers
    >>> <> write:

    >>[...]
    >>
    >>> Yes, its the shortcuts I wish would return.
    >>> No doubt *some* setting was changed (by me) but I'll be ding-danged

    if
    >>> I know which one. I just figgered one of y'all smart fellers could
    >>> tell me which setting I mighta changed...

    >>Let me guess, you still haven't put your mouse pointer over any of the
    >>little icons on the right of the 'toolbar' at the top of the file save
    >>dialogue in Paintshop ... let alone clicked ...

    > Yes Sr. Whiskers, I am very much aware of those little icons and what
    > each does.
    > I also know how to find another place to put/save my files.
    >
    > But I'm trying to discover what happened to the very, very big icons
    > tht *used* to be on the left hand side that no longer show up.
    > They show up in one program: Word (actually, they show up in the whole
    > Office suite) But they are supposed to show up in every program!
    > I have three other PC's (up and running) and they all have the proper
    > giant icons on the left. This, my main computer, hasn't the huge icons
    > and I was hoping someone could tell me what I did to make them
    > disappear, or at least offer up some hints as to where in my registry
    > I might find the magical switch to put things back right.
    > TIA

    Tell us which one or two other programs you're referring to?

    --
    <snip>

    John Holmes, Mar 27, 2010
  4. Whiskers

    John Holmes Guest

    Baaaaaaaa! "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > Everyone was getting along swimmingly in 24hoursupport.helpdesk on or
    > about Sat, 27 Mar 2010 00:25:50 +0000 when Whiskers
    > <> fucked everything up by saying:
    >
    >>On 2010-03-27, Baaaaaaaa! <> wrote:
    >>> Once upon a time, in a newsgroup called 24hoursupport.helpdesk on

    Fri,
    >>> 26 Mar 2010 23:03:10 +0000 we were all amazed to see Whiskers
    >>> <> write:

    >>[...]
    >>
    >>> Yes, its the shortcuts I wish would return.
    >>> No doubt *some* setting was changed (by me) but I'll be ding-danged

    if
    >>> I know which one. I just figgered one of y'all smart fellers could
    >>> tell me which setting I mighta changed...

    >>Let me guess, you still haven't put your mouse pointer over any of the
    >>little icons on the right of the 'toolbar' at the top of the file save
    >>dialogue in Paintshop ... let alone clicked ...

    > Yes Sr. Whiskers, I am very much aware of those little icons and what
    > each does.
    > I also know how to find another place to put/save my files.
    >
    > But I'm trying to discover what happened to the very, very big icons
    > tht *used* to be on the left hand side that no longer show up.
    > They show up in one program: Word (actually, they show up in the whole
    > Office suite) But they are supposed to show up in every program!
    > I have three other PC's (up and running) and they all have the proper
    > giant icons on the left. This, my main computer, hasn't the huge icons
    > and I was hoping someone could tell me what I did to make them
    > disappear, or at least offer up some hints as to where in my registry
    > I might find the magical switch to put things back right.
    > TIA

    Oh, can you post a link to screendump of how it looks like now, without
    the icons?

    --
    <snip>

    John Holmes, Mar 27, 2010
  5. Whiskers

    John Holmes Guest

    Baaaaaaaa! "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > Everyone was getting along swimmingly in 24hoursupport.helpdesk on or
    > about Sat, 27 Mar 2010 14:03:47 +0100 when John Holmes
    > <> fucked everything up by saying:
    >
    >>Baaaaaaaa! "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >>
    >>> Everyone was getting along swimmingly in 24hoursupport.helpdesk on or
    >>> about Sat, 27 Mar 2010 00:25:50 +0000 when Whiskers
    >>> <> fucked everything up by saying:

    >>Fri,

    >>if

    the

    save

    >>> Yes Sr. Whiskers, I am very much aware of those little icons and what
    >>> each does.
    >>> I also know how to find another place to put/save my files.
    >>>
    >>> But I'm trying to discover what happened to the very, very big icons
    >>> tht *used* to be on the left hand side that no longer show up.
    >>> They show up in one program: Word (actually, they show up in the

    whole
    >>> Office suite) But they are supposed to show up in every program!
    >>> I have three other PC's (up and running) and they all have the proper
    >>> giant icons on the left. This, my main computer, hasn't the huge

    icons
    >>> and I was hoping someone could tell me what I did to make them
    >>> disappear, or at least offer up some hints as to where in my registry
    >>> I might find the magical switch to put things back right.
    >>> TIA
    >>>

    >>Oh, can you post a link to screendump of how it looks like now, without
    >>the icons?

    > I did man.
    > But for you I'll do it again....if I'm not stuck in the netherworld of
    > your "moron" file: http://omjewelry.net/Stuff/missingstuff.htm

    I have seen that. I was asking how your system looks *without* the icons.

    --
    <snip>

    John Holmes, Mar 27, 2010
  6. Whiskers

    TING Bu-Dung Guest

    "Baaaaaaaa!" <> wrote in message
    > Everyone was getting along swimmingly in 24hoursupport.helpdesk on or
    > about Sat, 27 Mar 2010 14:03:47 +0100 when John Holmes
    > <> fucked everything up by saying:
    >
    >>Baaaaaaaa! "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >>
    >>> Everyone was getting along swimmingly in 24hoursupport.helpdesk on or
    >>> about Sat, 27 Mar 2010 00:25:50 +0000 when Whiskers
    >>> <> fucked everything up by saying:

    >>Fri,

    >>if

    >>> Yes Sr. Whiskers, I am very much aware of those little icons and what
    >>> each does.
    >>> I also know how to find another place to put/save my files.
    >>>
    >>> But I'm trying to discover what happened to the very, very big icons
    >>> tht *used* to be on the left hand side that no longer show up.
    >>> They show up in one program: Word (actually, they show up in the whole
    >>> Office suite) But they are supposed to show up in every program!
    >>> I have three other PC's (up and running) and they all have the proper
    >>> giant icons on the left. This, my main computer, hasn't the huge icons
    >>> and I was hoping someone could tell me what I did to make them
    >>> disappear, or at least offer up some hints as to where in my registry
    >>> I might find the magical switch to put things back right.
    >>> TIA
    >>>

    >>Oh, can you post a link to screendump of how it looks like now, without
    >>the icons?

    > I did man.
    > But for you I'll do it again....if I'm not stuck in the netherworld of
    > your "moron" file: http://omjewelry.net/Stuff/missingstuff.htm

    I don't understand why others seem to be having difficulty understanding
    what you mean. The issue is quite clear. I don't have an explanation for
    the phenomenon, but on my own computer I did a bit of checking around and
    got all the big icons on the left for Microsoft Office, Open Office,
    Audacity, Notepad, Paint, and MovieMaker, BUT did not even get an empty
    space on the left with IrfanView and Adobe PhotoDeluxe:
    http://public.bay.livefilestore.com...zLqo18v5Zmwr0lJlZ6DBW31lTHtzp5A/Clipboard.jpg

    strange indeed . . .
    --
    è½ä¸æ‡‚

    TING Bu-Dung, Mar 27, 2010
  7. Whiskers

    TING Bu-Dung Guest

    "John Holmes" <> wrote in message
    > Baaaaaaaa! "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >
    >> Everyone was getting along swimmingly in 24hoursupport.helpdesk on or
    >> about Sat, 27 Mar 2010 14:03:47 +0100 when John Holmes
    >> <> fucked everything up by saying:
    >>
    >>>Baaaaaaaa! "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    >>>Fri,

    >>>if

    > the

    > save

    > whole

    > icons
    >>>>

    >>>Oh, can you post a link to screendump of how it looks like now, without
    >>>the icons?

    >> I did man.
    >> But for you I'll do it again....if I'm not stuck in the netherworld of
    >> your "moron" file: http://omjewelry.net/Stuff/missingstuff.htm
    >>

    > I have seen that. I was asking how your system looks *without* the icons.

    And WTF do you mean how his "system" looks?

    --
    è½ä¸æ‡‚

    TING Bu-Dung, Mar 27, 2010
  8. Whiskers

    John Holmes Guest

    TING Bu-Dung "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > "John Holmes" <> wrote in message
    >> Baaaaaaaa! "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >>
    >>> Everyone was getting along swimmingly in 24hoursupport.helpdesk on
    >>> or about Sat, 27 Mar 2010 14:03:47 +0100 when John Holmes
    >>> <> fucked everything up by saying:

    >> the

    >> save

    >> whole

    >> icons

    >>> I did man.
    >>> But for you I'll do it again....if I'm not stuck in the netherworld
    >>> of your "moron" file: http://omjewelry.net/Stuff/missingstuff.htm
    >>>

    >> I have seen that. I was asking how your system looks *without* the
    >> icons.

    > And WTF do you mean how his "system" looks?

    I'd like to see what happens on the OP's computer when (s)he hits "save
    as"

    --
    <snip>

    John Holmes, Mar 27, 2010
  9. Whiskers

    TING Bu-Dung Guest

    "John Holmes" <> wrote
    > I'd like to see what happens on the OP's computer when (s)he hits "save
    > as"

    And that's exactly what the OP was showing you . . .
    --
    è½ä¸æ‡‚

    TING Bu-Dung, Mar 28, 2010
  10. Whiskers

    John Holmes Guest

    Baaaaaaaa! "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > Everyone was getting along swimmingly in 24hoursupport.helpdesk on or
    > about Sat, 27 Mar 2010 14:03:47 +0100 when John Holmes
    > <> fucked everything up by saying:
    >
    >>Baaaaaaaa! "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >>
    >>> Everyone was getting along swimmingly in 24hoursupport.helpdesk on or
    >>> about Sat, 27 Mar 2010 00:25:50 +0000 when Whiskers
    >>> <> fucked everything up by saying:

    >>Fri,

    >>if

    the

    save

    >>> Yes Sr. Whiskers, I am very much aware of those little icons and what
    >>> each does.
    >>> I also know how to find another place to put/save my files.
    >>>
    >>> But I'm trying to discover what happened to the very, very big icons
    >>> tht *used* to be on the left hand side that no longer show up.
    >>> They show up in one program: Word (actually, they show up in the

    whole
    >>> Office suite) But they are supposed to show up in every program!
    >>> I have three other PC's (up and running) and they all have the proper
    >>> giant icons on the left. This, my main computer, hasn't the huge

    icons
    >>> and I was hoping someone could tell me what I did to make them
    >>> disappear, or at least offer up some hints as to where in my registry
    >>> I might find the magical switch to put things back right.
    >>> TIA
    >>>

    >>Oh, can you post a link to screendump of how it looks like now, without
    >>the icons?

    > I did man.
    > But for you I'll do it again....if I'm not stuck in the netherworld of
    > your "moron" file: http://omjewelry.net/Stuff/missingstuff.htm

    OK, have a look at this:
    http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-5630305.html

    --
    <snip>

    John Holmes, Mar 28, 2010
  11. Whiskers

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2010-03-28, John Holmes <> wrote:
    > Baaaaaaaa! "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    [...]

    >> I did man.
    >> But for you I'll do it again....if I'm not stuck in the netherworld of
    >> your "moron" file: http://omjewelry.net/Stuff/missingstuff.htm
    >>

    > OK, have a look at this:
    > http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-5630305.html

    I notice that it says there

    When you save or open a file in an application that uses Windows XP's
    common dialog box, chances are that you use the Places bar on the left
    side of the dialog box to speed up your navigation.

    Perhaps the OP's Paintshop program isn't using the "common dialogue box"
    but one of its own - it looks different in his screenshots, quite apart
    from what's in the grey area to the left.

    --
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Mar 28, 2010