Re: Stuff I never thought about much....

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by why?, Mar 19, 2009.

  1. why?

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 15:53:03 -0400, Jeff Wisnia wrote:

    >I've been using the internet for longer than I can remember, but I don't
    >think I ever gave serious thought to just how the signals are
    >transmitted around the world.
    >
    >When I read this recent Popular Science magazine article I was shocked,
    >schocked to learn how many undersea fiber optic cables are employed to
    >carry internet traffic and how often they are damaged and require repair.
    >
    >Hope you enjoy this one as much as I did:
    >
    >http://www.popsci.com/scitech/article/2009-03/who-protects-intrnet

    This is the site I usually keep an eye on as we have users in remote
    office in some of these areas.

    http://search.theregister.co.uk/?q=undersea cables

    Most likely covered in the link you posted.

    Three simultaneously cut undersea cables under repair
    Traffic disrupted between Europe and Middle East
    By Dan Goodin • Monday 22 Dec 2008 20:07

    Egypt offline for weekend after Med seabed cables cut
    French robot gropes bottom
    By Lewis Page • Monday 22 Dec 2008 09:49

    Dubai impounds cable slicing ships
    Satellite images used to ID Gulf cable miscreants
    By Lewis Page • Monday 14 Apr 2008 10:02

    Cable cutter nutters chase underwater conspiracies
    Plumbing the depths
    By Dan Goodin • Thursday 7 Feb 2008 01:57
    The failure of four undersea cables in less than a week is stoking
    suspicions that saboteurs want

    Submarine cable cut torpedoes Middle East access
    Web slowdown hits India, Pakistan too
    By John Oates • Wednesday 30 Jan 2008 17:02

    Fishermen Sea DOS Vietnam
    Oops, were you guys using that?
    By Austin Modine • Thursday 7 Jun 2007 21:41
    Vietnam telecom officials estimate it will take at least a month and
    cost over $5.84m to fix damaged undersea fiber-optic cables stolen by
    fishermen for salvage.

    Me
    why?, Mar 19, 2009