Re: Stuff I never thought about much....

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Whiskers, Mar 18, 2009.

  1. Whiskers

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2009-03-18, Jeff Wisnia <> wrote:

    > I've been using the internet for longer than I can remember, but I don't
    > think I ever gave serious thought to just how the signals are
    > transmitted around the world.
    >
    > When I read this recent Popular Science magazine article I was shocked,
    > schocked to learn how many undersea fiber optic cables are employed to
    > carry internet traffic and how often they are damaged and require repair.
    >
    > Hope you enjoy this one as much as I did:
    >
    > http://www.popsci.com/scitech/article/2009-03/who-protects-intrnet
    >
    > Jeff

    No no no ... it's pipes. Pipes and hamsters. Lots of hamsters. And some
    gophers.

    'HTTP' stands for 'hamster tooth transfer protocol'. 'HTML' is 'hamster
    tooth-mark language'.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Mar 18, 2009

  2. Whiskers

    Evan Platt Guest

    Evan Platt, Mar 18, 2009

  3. Whiskers

    Dan C Guest

    On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 23:39:50 +0000, Whiskers wrote:

    > On 2009-03-18, Jeff Wisnia <> wrote:
    >>
    >> I've been using the internet for longer than I can remember, but I
    >> don't think I ever gave serious thought to just how the signals are
    >> transmitted around the world.
    >>
    >> When I read this recent Popular Science magazine article I was shocked,
    >> schocked to learn how many undersea fiber optic cables are employed to
    >> carry internet traffic and how often they are damaged and require
    >> repair.
    >>
    >> Hope you enjoy this one as much as I did:
    >>
    >> http://www.popsci.com/scitech/article/2009-03/who-protects-intrnet
    >>
    >> Jeff

    > No no no ... it's pipes. Pipes and hamsters. Lots of hamsters. And
    > some gophers.
    >
    > 'HTTP' stands for 'hamster tooth transfer protocol'. 'HTML' is 'hamster
    > tooth-mark language'.

    In Asia they mostly use gerbils in place of the hamsters.

    Hamsters: The other White Meat.

    Dan C, Mar 19, 2009
  4. Whiskers

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 23:39:50 +0000, Whiskers wrote:

    >On 2009-03-18, Jeff Wisnia <> wrote:
    >>
    >> I've been using the internet for longer than I can remember, but I don't
    >> think I ever gave serious thought to just how the signals are
    >> transmitted around the world.
    >>
    >> When I read this recent Popular Science magazine article I was shocked,

    <snip>

    >> Hope you enjoy this one as much as I did:
    >>
    >> http://www.popsci.com/scitech/article/2009-03/who-protects-intrnet
    >>
    >> Jeff

    >No no no ... it's pipes. Pipes and hamsters. Lots of hamsters. And some
    >gophers.
    >
    >'HTTP' stands for 'hamster tooth transfer protocol'. 'HTML' is 'hamster
    >tooth-mark language'.

    Not that either, it's http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1149.html
    RFC 1149 - Standard for the transmission of IP datagrams on avian
    carriers.

    Or the more advanced updated with quality of service.
    http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2549.html
    IP over Avian Carriers with Quality of Service

    Me

    why?, Mar 19, 2009
  5. Whiskers

    Jordon Guest

    Jordon, Mar 19, 2009
  6. Whiskers

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2009-03-19, why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote:

    > On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 23:39:50 +0000, Whiskers wrote:
    >
    >>On 2009-03-18, Jeff Wisnia <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I've been using the internet for longer than I can remember, but I don't
    >>> think I ever gave serious thought to just how the signals are
    >>> transmitted around the world.
    >>>
    >>> When I read this recent Popular Science magazine article I was shocked,

    > <snip>
    >
    >>> Hope you enjoy this one as much as I did:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.popsci.com/scitech/article/2009-03/who-protects-intrnet
    >>>
    >>> Jeff

    >>No no no ... it's pipes. Pipes and hamsters. Lots of hamsters. And some
    >>gophers.
    >>
    >>'HTTP' stands for 'hamster tooth transfer protocol'. 'HTML' is 'hamster
    >>tooth-mark language'.

    > Not that either, it's http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1149.html
    > RFC 1149 - Standard for the transmission of IP datagrams on avian
    > carriers.
    >
    > Or the more advanced updated with quality of service.
    > http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2549.html
    > IP over Avian Carriers with Quality of Service
    >
    > Me

    I've been using penguins for years now. Don't use a fountain-pen though!

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Mar 19, 2009
  7. In article <>,
    Whiskers <> wrote:

    > On 2009-03-18, Jeff Wisnia <> wrote:
    > >
    > > I've been using the internet for longer than I can remember, but I don't
    > > think I ever gave serious thought to just how the signals are
    > > transmitted around the world.
    > >
    > > When I read this recent Popular Science magazine article I was shocked,
    > > schocked to learn how many undersea fiber optic cables are employed to
    > > carry internet traffic and how often they are damaged and require repair.
    > >
    > > Hope you enjoy this one as much as I did:
    > >
    > > http://www.popsci.com/scitech/article/2009-03/who-protects-intrnet
    > >
    > > Jeff

    > No no no ... it's pipes. Pipes and hamsters. Lots of hamsters. And some
    > gophers.
    >
    > 'HTTP' stands for 'hamster tooth transfer protocol'. 'HTML' is 'hamster
    > tooth-mark language'.

    You're just trying to ham it up.

    Walter Bushell, Mar 21, 2009
  8. Whiskers

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2009-03-21, Walter Bushell <> wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Whiskers <> wrote:

    [...]

    >> 'HTTP' stands for 'hamster tooth transfer protocol'. 'HTML' is 'hamster
    >> tooth-mark language'.

    > You're just trying to ham it up.

    Mmmm .... bacon ....

    --