Re: Studio Flash Kit

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by T P, Jul 4, 2003.

  1. T   P

    T P Guest

    (Jeff Davies) wrote:

    >Also, any reccomendations for dealers in the UK that may offer better
    >value than Jessops.

    Portaflash is Jessops' own brand so you cannot buy it anywhere else.
    Personally, I don't rate it at all.

    You would be better buying a good used set-up such as Bowens or
    Elinchrom. They are much more expensive new, but they are built to
    withstand hard use and can be good used buys. Used prices should be
    comparable to those of new Portaflash systems.
    T P, Jul 4, 2003

  2. In article <>, T P
    <> writes
    >Portaflash is Jessops' own brand so you cannot buy it anywhere else.
    >Personally, I don't rate it at all.

    Portaflash is not brilliant. The various kits are very expensive unless
    you need all the bits they come with. There's little point paying a
    fortune for reflectors and such, they can easily be home made for next
    to nothing. Concentrate on the heads if you must.

    I've got a couple of Portaflash brolly brackets and 32" brollies used
    mainly with a pair of Vivitar 283s, easy to get hold of and reasonably
    cheap.

    --
    John

    Preston, Lancs, UK.
    Photos at http://www.photopia.demon.co.uk
    John Halliwell, Jul 5, 2003

  3. T   P

    T P Guest

    John Halliwell <> wrote:

    >Portaflash is not brilliant. The various kits are very expensive unless
    >you need all the bits they come with. There's little point paying a
    >fortune for reflectors and such, they can easily be home made for next
    >to nothing. Concentrate on the heads if you must.
    >
    >I've got a couple of Portaflash brolly brackets and 32" brollies used
    >mainly with a pair of Vivitar 283s, easy to get hold of and reasonably
    >cheap.

    It would have been more polite to direct your comments to the original
    poster, rather than as a reply to me. I'm not in the least interested
    in your advice or experience; I simply won't touch such junk.
    T P, Jul 6, 2003