Re: Studio Flash Kit

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Todd Walker, Jul 4, 2003.

  1. Todd Walker

    Todd Walker Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Hi guys,
    >
    > I am looking to buy a portable lighting kit to use for "location"
    > shooting (portraits and glamour) with a digital camera.
    >
    > I am trying to decidebetween a Photopearl system (constant lighting)or
    > a Portaflash system. I need a complete system as I currently only
    > have a camera mounted flash gun.
    >
    > Details are here:
    > http://www.jessops.com/search/dointellisearch.cfm?node=316
    >
    > Any suggestions and advice gratefully recieved.
    >
    > Also, any reccomendations for dealers in the UK that may offer better
    > value than Jessops.

    Stay away from hot lights. As David pointed out, they get very hot and
    don't put out anywhere near the light that a strobe will.

    If you want a good quality set of monolights for a fair price, look at
    www.alienbees.com -- I have the B800 firing into either a 32" umbrella
    or a 12" square softbox (Westcott Mini Apollo) as my main light, and a
    Vivitar 285HV on a light stand firing into a 16" umbrella as my fill and
    it works great. Here is an example of a portrait with this setup:

    http://twalker.d2g.com/P5095556.JPG

    Good luck!
    Todd

    --