Re: Studio Flash Kit

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by David Grandy, Jul 3, 2003.

  1. David Grandy

    David Grandy Guest

    Lights, real lights as opposed to flash, are very dangerous and very low
    powered. They get extremely hot, such that I wouldn't want them anywhere
    near a client or in a location where a kid could touch one. They also are
    very weak. you will be amazed at how little light actually comes out of one
    of these things, especially if you try to bounce the light into an umbrella.

    You will also have colour balance problems if you use film, although with
    digital photography this isn't all of that much of a problem. These lights
    are going to give you a light of around 3200 degrees K and you will either
    have to filter your lens, gel the lights themselves (both of which will
    further weaken the light output) or use special Tungsten films.

    Flashes - monolights - are not all that expensive, and are much safer and
    more powerful. They should have a modeling light so that you can see
    reflections in eye glasses and that kind of thing. The won't cook the
    subject either and sitting under hot tungsten lights that are close enough
    to allow a reasonable aperture, is no fun for the client at all. It's also
    not a lot of fun for the photographer who is standing next to these lights
    either. At university we had a bunch of them and although they were great
    for keeping the Friday afternoon pizzas hot, they weren't much good for
    anything else.

    Although you can work to hurt yourself with a monolight - especially if it
    has a quartz modeling light - they aren't nearly as dangerous as the
    tungsten lights. They will be many times more powerful than the tungsten's
    and most offer much better output control. Being flashes they also are
    balanced for daylight film which is 5500 degrees K so you can use any
    daylight film without any filtration. Sadly they don't help with the pizza.

    David Grandy, Jul 3, 2003

  2. David Grandy

    Jeff Davies Guest

    "David Grandy" <> wrote in message news:<pAWMa.33340$>...
    > Lights, real lights as opposed to flash, are very dangerous and very low
    > powered. <SNIP>

    Hi David,

    Thanks for your reply. You have convinced me to go for flash, which I
    was leaning towards in any case.

    Jeff Davies, Jul 4, 2003

  3. David Grandy

    David Grandy Guest

    "Hi David,

    Thanks for your reply. You have convinced me to go for flash, which I
    was leaning towards in any case."

    - No problem. Although I don't own any yet I'm very attracted to the Alien
    Bee's flashes - as Todd mentioned. Have a look.

    David Grandy, Jul 4, 2003