Re: Studio camera- cheap Oly/expensive Minolta?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Patrick L., Jul 16, 2003.

  1. Patrick L.

    Patrick L. Guest

    Although I can't say I"m a seasoned pro, just started out hanging out my
    shingle, and now a veteran of only a couple of weddings and not too many
    portraits, I will say that, in my humblest of opinions, the E-10 takes
    great portraits, and in the studio, you don't find myself needing higher ISO
    speeds. I took the portrait of the girl at http://www.ringsandroses.com
    with two monolights and an E-10. Also this portrait at
    http://www.beatphoto.com/selfportrait.htm with one monolight and the E-10

    I've experienced no problems with focusing or using studio flash. The E-10
    is a real nice studio camera, its lens is very sharp from wide open to its
    smallest aperture, and can serve to proof for your medium format, as well.
    I use it to proof for my Mamiya C330 when I 'm shooting medium format.
    However, its smallest aperture is f/11, but, as I understand it, it is
    similar to f/22 on a film camera. But that means you cannot set the power
    to your lights brighter than f/11, but I've never found the need to, anyway.

    Patrick L.

    Martin Francis <> wrote in message
    > Until tonight, i'd got my heart set on an E10 as my first foray into
    > non-film photography. It looks good, feels good, and does most of what I
    > need. Plus, I can get it on the cheap (~350UKP). My main studio camera is

    > Bronica ETRSi which in some respects has some common ground with the E10-
    > leaf shutter lenses, flash sync from here to yaya, PC and hotshoe-
    > essentially the E10 would be a cheap (long term) Polaroid Land back. Also

    as
    > a walking around camera I usually use an FM3A, and when I get myself a

    Metz
    > gun I can get SCAs for all three cameras and interchange.
    > However...
    > Just discovered that a lot of cameras have LS shutters, and that some even
    > have PC sockets... notably the Minolta 7Hi. Now, this is a higher res

    camera
    > than i'd considered, and the lens is slower, and it's considerably smaller
    > than I like... but it DOES have more common ISOs, and a wider shutter

    speed
    > range, and I can still do the Metz thing. But it's twice as much money.

    That

    Patrick L., Jul 16, 2003

  2. Patrick L.

    Graham Guest

    "Patrick L." wrote:
    > speeds. I took the portrait of the girl at
    > http://www.ringsandroses.com

    Glitch alert!

    On the above webpage, in this text:
    "Digital versus Film
    Which is better? You be the judge: click here for a close up shot using
    film. Click here for a close up shot using a digital camera (a high
    caliber digital camera)", the links from the words "here" are:
    <http://www.patricklockwood.com/film.jpg>
    <http://www.patricklockwood.com/digital.jpg>
    which are dead links.

    I guessed they should be:
    <http://www.ringsandroses.com/film.jpg>
    <http://www.ringsandroses.com/digital.jpg>
    and sure enough, there they were!
    Graham, Jul 16, 2003

  3. Patrick L.

    Patrick L. Guest

    Graham <> wrote in message
    > "Patrick L." wrote:
    > > speeds. I took the portrait of the girl at
    > > http://www.ringsandroses.com

    > Glitch alert!
    >
    > On the above webpage, in this text:
    > "Digital versus Film
    > Which is better? You be the judge: click here for a close up shot using
    > film. Click here for a close up shot using a digital camera (a high
    > caliber digital camera)", the links from the words "here" are:
    > <http://www.patricklockwood.com/film.jpg>
    > <http://www.patricklockwood.com/digital.jpg>
    > which are dead links.
    >
    > I guessed they should be:
    > <http://www.ringsandroses.com/film.jpg>
    > <http://www.ringsandroses.com/digital.jpg>
    > and sure enough, there they were!

    Thank you, I will fix it.

    Patrick.
    Patrick L., Jul 16, 2003
  4. Patrick L.

    George Kerby Guest

    On 7/16/03 3:43 PM, in article
    pNiRa.5172$, "Patrick L."
    <> wrote:

    > Graham <> wrote in message
    >> "Patrick L." wrote:
    >>> speeds. I took the portrait of the girl at
    >>> http://www.ringsandroses.com

    >> Glitch alert!
    >>
    >> On the above webpage, in this text:
    >> "Digital versus Film
    >> Which is better? You be the judge: click here for a close up shot using
    >> film. Click here for a close up shot using a digital camera (a high
    >> caliber digital camera)", the links from the words "here" are:
    >> <http://www.patricklockwood.com/film.jpg>
    >> <http://www.patricklockwood.com/digital.jpg>
    >> which are dead links.
    >>
    >> I guessed they should be:
    >> <http://www.ringsandroses.com/film.jpg>
    >> <http://www.ringsandroses.com/digital.jpg>
    >> and sure enough, there they were!
    >>

    > Thank you, I will fix it.
    >

    > Patrick.

    Poor girl needs to see a Dermatologist about that condition!

    George Kerby, Jul 16, 2003
  5. The guy could stand to learn about lighting and posing too.
    Randall Ainsworth, Jul 17, 2003