Re: strike sx230-260

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by otter, Jun 7, 2012.

  1. otter

    otter Guest

    On Jun 7, 12:18 am, bad sector <none@_INVALID_.net> wrote:
    > On 06/05/2012 11:26 PM, bad sector wrote:
    >
    > > On 06/04/2012 12:47 AM, bad sector wrote:

    > >> canon sx230?

    > >> 1080p HD, manual overrides, large pocket size and since it's a year on
    > >> the market prices have retreated some ($230-300). I never had a Canon
    > >> but the reviews are generally good.

    > > I just downloaded the manual and went in for a closer look at so called
    > > MANUAL focus. There's no sign of numerical distance reference,
    > > apparently it just allows one to eyeball focus on the monitor. Thus if I
    > > want to focus at 200 feet I cannot see that number anywhere while
    > > focusing even manually :-(((

    > I wouldn't want to mislead anyone, this is NOT quite accurate!
    >
    > On p126 of the sx260 manual there is an "MF Indicator" bar that "shows
    > the distance and focal position" (somewhat different wording is used on
    > p96 of the sx230 manual). Not sure if I understand this, focus is a
    > distance and not a position. Does the manual mean that the bar shows the
    > distance marks and the focus distance against them? If so then where's
    > the infinity marking or is it one those dynamic scales? Could anyone
    > with access to one of these cameras try it out? There's no camera store
    > around my home so I can't just go over for some hands-on trial. What I
    > want is the ability to set focus by setting a distance in feet up to
    > infinity, interpolating as required but NOT by adjusting the 'texture'
    > in a focus square/rectangle.
    >
    > TIA

    http://photography-on-the.net/forum/
    http://www.dpreview.com/forums/

    You should try the Canon forums above to ask your question, You may
    find someone who actually owns the camera. There used to be a
    superzoom owner who politely offered helpful, informed opinion to the
    DSLR owners here, but he may be in jail now.

    If manual focusing on the sx230 is like other Canon compact cameras,
    you will probably not be terribly happy with it. Seems everyone
    expects the camera to do all of the work these days, and safeguards
    are built in so that the camera reverts to autofocus after each shot.
    At least that was my experience with manual focusing on the G12. But
    maybe I was missing some configuration setting in a menu somewhere. I
    only used the camera for a short while before my wife stole it from me.
    otter, Jun 7, 2012