Re: Strangers With Candy

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Smaug69, Jun 27, 2003.

  1. Smaug69

    Smaug69 Guest

    "Mike Dobony" <> wrote in message news:<bddjnd$e5m$>...

    <snip>

    > > Of course, the show is also one of the most well-written, bizarre, and
    > > offensive shows ever to appear on American television (even more
    > > offensive than South Park and Duckman, and live action no less).
    > >

    > If is is so offensive it was NOT well written.

    So you're saying that a show is good if it doesn't offend anyone? You
    want to have 50 shows like Full House?(Which ironically offended me
    'cause it was so banal and full of such sentimental syrup that it
    nauseated me)

    Smaug69

    Smaug69, Jun 27, 2003

  2. Smaug69

    jayembee Guest

    (Smaug69) wrote:

    > "Mike Dobony" <> wrote:
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    >>> Of course, the show is also one of the most well-written,
    >>> bizarre, and offensive shows ever to appear on American
    >>> television (even more offensive than South Park and
    >>> Duckman, and live action no less).

    >> If is is so offensive it was NOT well written.

    > So you're saying that a show is good if it doesn't offend anyone?

    Doesn't look to me like he's saying that at all. You're drawing
    and inference from his statement. From what I can see, all he's
    saying is that if SWC is "one of the most...offensive shows ever
    to appear on American television" and "even more offensive than
    South Park..." than it cannot be well-written.

    He didn't say that a show cannot be good if it offends, just that
    if it's *that* offensive, it can't be well-written. I don't agree
    with him, but it's a valid point of view.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Jun 27, 2003

  3. >Doesn't look to me like he's saying that at all. You're drawing
    >and inference from his statement. From what I can see, all he's
    >saying is that if SWC is "one of the most...offensive shows ever
    >to appear on American television" and "even more offensive than
    >South Park..." than it cannot be well-written.
    >
    >He didn't say that a show cannot be good if it offends, just that
    >if it's *that* offensive, it can't be well-written. I don't agree
    >with him, but it's a valid point of view.

    I never really watched SWC, but South Park can be pretty offensive, and I still
    think it is pretty well-written. But then again, it takes a lot to offend me.

    I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I lock every
    other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking
    the locks, they are always locking three.
    - Elayne Boosler

    Remove "bination" to reply.

    Sydney Assbasket, Jun 28, 2003
  4. Smaug69

    Smaug69 Guest

    (jayembee) wrote in message news:<>...

    <snip>

    > Doesn't look to me like he's saying that at all. You're drawing
    > and inference from his statement.

    Much like he did with the previous poster.

    > From what I can see, all he's
    > saying is that if SWC is "one of the most...offensive shows ever
    > to appear on American television" and "even more offensive than
    > South Park..." than it cannot be well-written.
    >
    > He didn't say that a show cannot be good if it offends, just that
    > if it's *that* offensive, it can't be well-written. I don't agree
    > with him, but it's a valid point of view.

    Well, it's a point of view...

    Smaug69

    Smaug69, Jun 28, 2003
  5. Smaug69

    Eric R. Guest

    Max Volume <> wrote in message

    > Unfortunately, SWC is just another in a long line of
    > shows (The Tom Green Show, etc.) that made the mistake of thinking it
    > was funny just to BE offensive.

    No, SWC was funny because of the satire and parody. The offensiveness
    was just a means to that end.

    IMHO, the idea of satiring the traditional after-school special with
    values completely in opposition to everything those specials stood for
    was brilliant. And SWC could be surgically accurate in picking apart
    the many flaws and silly assumptions of those specials. In
    after-school specials, for example, kids live in a world where:

    1) They can completely criticize and reject everything their peers
    hold dear and still expect to be accepted and loved by them.

    2) All substance abuse leads inevitably to horrible tragedy.

    3) All crimes ultimately result in arrest and punishment

    4) All authority figures and caring and concerned

    etc.

    SWC got a lot of milage by exploding these simplistic sacred cows, and
    I loved it. But to each his own, of course.

    -Eric

    Eric R., Jul 1, 2003
  6. Smaug69

    No Time Guest

    (jayembee) wrote in message news:<>...
    > (Smaug69) wrote:
    >
    > > "Mike Dobony" <> wrote:
    > >
    > > <snip>

    > >> If is is so offensive it was NOT well written.

    > > So you're saying that a show is good if it doesn't offend anyone?

    > Doesn't look to me like he's saying that at all. You're drawing
    > and inference from his statement. From what I can see, all he's
    > saying is that if SWC is "one of the most...offensive shows ever
    > to appear on American television" and "even more offensive than
    > South Park..." than it cannot be well-written.
    >
    > He didn't say that a show cannot be good if it offends, just that
    > if it's *that* offensive, it can't be well-written. I don't agree
    > with him, but it's a valid point of view.

    No it's not. Try not to let that destroy you.

    No Time, Jul 1, 2003