Re: Strange XP behavior

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Paul - xxx, Aug 11, 2003.

  1. Paul - xxx

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Miggsee tried to scribble ...

    > I got this message from a friend, and I'm researching it now. Does
    > anyone have any ideas? I've suggested doing HouseCalls. The problem
    > is occurring in XP Home on a ThinkPad. The friend is *much* more
    > knowledgeable than I.....
    >
    > "Since last time I saw the computer (maybe 4 days ago) there was a
    > new 'user account', and two programs that I know I installed are gone
    > without a sign of their having every been there. The new account was
    > a computer administrator type, named 'XIK'. It was password
    > protected, but I deleted it from the other administrator account that
    > I had set up during the upgrade. AOL and the AVG virus scanner were
    > gone. Of course nobody knows a thing about what happened, and I can't
    > find any information re: virus type causes."
    >
    > I've suggested HouseCall, Trojan Hunter, and a system restore.
    >
    > Ideas, please??

    Can't say much more than you've already suggested .. except maybe tell your
    friend to keep an eye out for whoever else has access to the PC, and try to
    see if anything changes after someone else logs on .. ;)

    --
    .............................Paul - xxx
    Seti 1877 wu in 14298 hours

    Paul - xxx, Aug 11, 2003

  2. instead of system restore try system recovery. but before had I would call
    or email microsoft and tell them the problem. the programs you installed are
    still there unless someone actually used the remove software option to take
    out the programs. system recovery will not put back the original
    administrator account,, but will keep the current one. if someone you know
    that used your computer for a day or two may have set there user account as
    administrator, if so that person knows how to reset it. good luck
    "Sentient Fluid" <> wrote in message
    > "Miggsee" <> wrote in message
    > > "Paul - xxx" <> wrote in message
    > > > Miggsee tried to scribble ...

    gone

    that

    can't

    > > > Can't say much more than you've already suggested .. except maybe tell

    > > your
    > > > friend to keep an eye out for whoever else has access to the PC, and

    try
    > > > see if anything changes after someone else logs on .. ;)

    > > Thanks, Bud! :) He's trying to monitor it. I think his last sentence

    was
    > > TIC. ;)

    > Wish I could remember the name of one.. but there are many programs out
    > there that log all activity on a computer. Some will even mail updates to

    an

    daniel O'Dell, Aug 15, 2003