Re: Strange problem

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Consultant, Apr 1, 2004.

  1. Consultant

    Consultant Guest

    reinstall xp
    or better yet, install linux

    "Ken Briscoe" <> wrote in message
    > Figured I'd come here and seek your help, as you guys claim to know what
    > you're doing...
    > Anyways, my parents have a computer with XP Home on it. It's a Systemax
    > system bought from god-knows-where, probably TigerDirect, so it's got a
    > "hidden" partition that houses a sparkling-clean image, used to restore

    the
    > computer back to "factory conditions". They were having a lot of trouble
    > with spyware and general clutter, so my father went ahead and backed up

    all
    > his important files and such, then blew everything away by using

    Systemax's

    http://www.3dlabs.com/support/forum/thread.jsp?forum=6&thread=5495&message=22037,

    Consultant, Apr 1, 2004

  2. Consultant

    Neil Guest

    "Consultant" <> wrote in news:eQ0Wrm$FEHA.1840
    @TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl:

    > or better yet, install linux

    which one

    --
    Neil
    Neil, Apr 1, 2004

  3. Consultant

    Ken Briscoe Guest

    "Consultant" <> wrote in message
    > reinstall xp

    I would have gone that route had the computer come with an XP CD.

    As an update (huh, update): I flashed the BIOS, but last night it crapped
    out again. It's that damn agpcpq.sys. It's evil. So, I think the options are
    dwindling. I can try restoring from the drive image again, I can make my
    parents buy a new copy of XP, I can install a copy of Win2K Pro that never
    saw the light of day, or I can set the machine ablaze. Frankly, I don't know
    why I'm going to all this trouble. They should buy a new computer anyways.
    My dad's eyes shot, he needs a bigger monitor. And he wants an LCD. So they
    should just go all out. Oh well.

    > or better yet, install linux

    Last time I tried to install Linux, I had the same memory problem Darth was
    having. I thought Linux was supposed to be more tolerant than Windows. But I
    guess you can look at it the other way: Linux actually *cares* that you have
    solid hardware...

    --

    KB - MCNGP "silent thug" #26

    Ken Briscoe, Apr 2, 2004
  4. Consultant

    Consultant Guest

    i can send you a copy of windows for workgroups 3.11

    Consultant, Apr 2, 2004
  5. Consultant

    Rowdy Yates Guest

    "Consultant" <> wrote in news:#cIXtIMGEHA.2768
    @tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl:

    > i can send you a copy of windows for workgroups 3.11

    ROTFLMAO!!!!

    Rowdy Yates
    --
    "the man who tried and failed miserably"
    Rowdy Yates, Apr 2, 2004
  6. Consultant

    > i can send you a copy of windows for workgroups 3.11

    my mom would sh!t a brick with no "start" button.
    "where's the internet?"
    "why is everything so slow?"
    "explorer has encountered errors?!"
    "what? what is this? no Hearts? Spider Solitaire? Freecell?"
    "kenny?! get over here!"

    --

    KB - MCNGP "silent thug" #26

    Ken Briscoe, Apr 2, 2004
  7. Consultant

    Neil Guest

    "Ken Briscoe" <> wrote in news:u59ZE5LGEHA.744
    @TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl:

    > set the machine ablaze

    this is my recommendation

    --
    Neil
    Neil, Apr 2, 2004
  8. Consultant

    Neil Guest

    "Consultant" <> wrote in news:#cIXtIMGEHA.2768
    @tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl:

    > i can send you a copy of windows for workgroups 3.11

    on 5 or 7 floppies. I have it on CD somewhere...

    (mmmm, DOS 3.2)

    --
    Neil
    Neil, Apr 2, 2004
  9. Consultant

    Consultant Guest

    7, of course.
    the funny part, i don't have a 3.5" floppy drive in any of my systems.

    Consultant, Apr 2, 2004
  10. Consultant

    Rowdy Yates Guest

    you have to pay an extra $50 to get a floppy drv these days.

    "Consultant" <> wrote in news:eHYg8dMGEHA.3856
    @TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl:

    > 7, of course.
    > the funny part, i don't have a 3.5" floppy drive in any of my systems.
    >
    > "Neil" <> wrote in message
    >> "Consultant" <> wrote in news:#cIXtIMGEHA.2768
    >> @tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl:
    >>
    >> > i can send you a copy of windows for workgroups 3.11

    >> on 5 or 7 floppies. I have it on CD somewhere...
    >>
    >> (mmmm, DOS 3.2)
    >>
    >> --
    >> Neil
    >> "you'd do what, to who, for how many biscuits?"

    Rowdy Yates
    --
    "the man who tried and failed miserably"
    Rowdy Yates, Apr 2, 2004
  11. Consultant

    Neil Guest

    "Consultant" <> wrote in news:eHYg8dMGEHA.3856
    @TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl:

    > 7, of course.
    > the funny part, i don't have a 3.5" floppy drive in any of my systems.
    >
    > "Neil" <> wrote in message
    >> "Consultant" <> wrote in news:

    #cIXtIMGEHA.2768
    >> @tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl:
    >>
    >> > i can send you a copy of windows for workgroups 3.11

    >> on 5 or 7 floppies. I have it on CD somewhere...
    >>
    >> (mmmm, DOS 3.2)
    >>
    >> --
    >> Neil
    >> "you'd do what, to who, for how many biscuits?"

    I remember it well.

    *reminiscing sigh*

    Life was easier when you could make a batch file and everyone was happy

    --
    Neil
    Neil, Apr 2, 2004
  12. Consultant

    Consultant Guest

    or $1.80 at frys

    Consultant, Apr 2, 2004
  13. Consultant

    Rowdy Yates Guest

    damn! dell screwed me yet again! bastards!

    "Consultant" <> wrote in news:ObHw2sMGEHA.2576
    @TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl:

    Rowdy Yates, Apr 2, 2004
  14. Consultant

    kat Guest

    Me neither. five computers, not a single FDD. I feel better now :)

    Consultant wrote:

    > 7, of course.
    > the funny part, i don't have a 3.5" floppy drive in any of my systems.
    >
    > "Neil" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>"Consultant" <> wrote in news:#cIXtIMGEHA.2768
    >>@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl:
    >>

    >>>i can send you a copy of windows for workgroups 3.11

    >>on 5 or 7 floppies. I have it on CD somewhere...
    >>
    >>(mmmm, DOS 3.2)
    >>
    >>--
    >>Neil
    >>"you'd do what, to who, for how many biscuits?"

    --
    Kat FORMER MCNGP #29

    /* Get the facts first. You can distort them later. */
    kat, Apr 2, 2004
  15. Consultant

    kat Guest

    Yeah, I was kind of wondering. Maybe if you bought it at Future Shop or
    radio shack..but come one. We all know everyone here builds there on
    pc's, right??

    Except Kenny, who is now paying for it.

    kat, Apr 2, 2004
  16. Consultant

    Rowdy Yates Guest

    i don't build my pc's. i use departmental funds to pay others to do it. ;-)

    kat <> wrote in news:406d98f6$1
    @obsidian.gov.bc.ca:

    Rowdy Yates, Apr 2, 2004
  17. Consultant

    Neil Guest

    kat <> wrote in news:406d9871$1
    @obsidian.gov.bc.ca:

    > Me neither. five computers, not a single FDD. I feel better now :)
    >
    > Consultant wrote:
    >
    >> 7, of course.
    >> the funny part, i don't have a 3.5" floppy drive in any of my systems.
    >>
    >> "Neil" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>"Consultant" <> wrote in news:

    #cIXtIMGEHA.2768
    >>>@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl:

    >>>on 5 or 7 floppies. I have it on CD somewhere...
    >>>
    >>>(mmmm, DOS 3.2)
    >>>
    >>>--
    >>>Neil
    >>>"you'd do what, to who, for how many biscuits?"

    this is why it is important to keep that copy of Win3.1 on CD

    :)

    --
    Neil
    Neil, Apr 2, 2004
  18. Consultant

    Ken Briscoe Guest

    "kat" <> wrote in message
    > Yeah, I was kind of wondering. Maybe if you bought it at Future Shop or
    > radio shack..but come one. We all know everyone here builds there on
    > pc's, right??
    >
    > Except Kenny, who is now paying for it.

    Mom's and Pop's machine. Not mine. I have 2 I built myself. But one is
    currently being stripped for parts....

    --

    KB - MCNGP "silent thug" #26

    Ken Briscoe, Apr 2, 2004
  19. Consultant

    Jtyc Guest

    > Me neither. five computers, not a single FDD. I feel better now :)

    8 systems with 5 floppies. Of course I haven't purchased a floppy drive in
    about 5 years...

    I still have a 5 1/4 floppy drive in a box...

    in case I want to play Centurion Defender of Rome again...
    Jtyc, Apr 2, 2004
  20. Consultant

    LnkWizard Guest

    "kat" <> wrote in message
    > Me neither. five computers, not a single FDD. I feel better now :)
    >
    > --
    > Kat FORMER MCNGP #29
    >
    > /* Get the facts first. You can distort them later. */

    Geez, I must be archaic, I have a PC that still has its 5 1/4 drive
    installed. I am
    using it as my secondary DC and backup DNS

    ---
    LnkWizard MCNGP 2^5

    ---
    LnkWizard, Apr 2, 2004