Re: Strange E-mail Problem

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by me, Sep 13, 2005.

  1. me

    me Guest

    I had this same problem once with my own account. The problem with my
    computer at the time--I had a file that was so gigantic that my computer was
    unable to download it and the software hanged every time I tried to check my
    mail. I finally had to manually log into my account from the server website
    and delete the email from there, and once that was done my account worked
    properly.

    You never said what the speed of the celeron was that your client is using.
    Also--as you know, that 256MB of ram is honestly lying to you in a
    way...Windows XP requires at least 64 MB at a minimum, but 128 is what I
    recommend at a minimum just for XP alone, however, XP is happy to use just
    as much as you install in the machine more than that, so your client may
    have 256MB installed physically, but you have to deduct at a minimum 128 of
    that, so your client really only has 128MB available for use for her other
    programs--which is why I always set my pagefile at 1.5 to 2X the amount of
    memory physically installed....which is why I have 512MB installed on a
    Athlon 3000+.
    First thing to ask--has your client any Antivirus software installed? If
    so, what software? Does your client use a firewall? What kind? She is on
    DSL--is she on network, and if so, is that network secured? A chain is only
    as strong as its strongest link....
    Check for viruses first, check for spyware second, check firewall
    settings--sometimes my firewall will literally see my email program as a
    threat, and refuse to allow me to check the mail---my security is set high.

    Hope that helps.

    me, Sep 13, 2005

  2. me

    AG Guest

    I used to work for an ISP with mostly dial up customers and this would
    happen often when someone would send mail that was just too big for OE to
    receive over a slow connection.
    The other possibility is that the mail server is having problems with
    malformed headers on a mail message. I've had to shell into customers
    accounts as root and delete all their mail from the mail directory just to
    get an account working again.

    AG

    AG, Sep 13, 2005