Re: Storage question for Windows Server 2003 Server

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Ace Fekay [MVP], Apr 24, 2008.

  1. In news:,
    Alan <> typed:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am planning to get a server with 2TB or 4TB array in RAID 5 from an
    > OEM. I have both motherboard and CPU that supports 64bit OS. I
    > originally plan to install 32bit Windows 2003 R2 standard on this
    > server, but I was told that for that much of storage I should install
    > 64bit of Windows 2003 server instead. Is there a limitation or
    > performance issue with 32bit Windows 2003 with this amount of
    > storage? This server is simply for storage only and for local lan
    > access.
    > I haven't used any 64bit software. Another question is if I do go with
    > 64bit, any software that I install has to been compatible with a
    > 64bit OS, right?

    I would say for one thing, the machine will run faster with 64bit. But you
    are limited to software.

    For your convenience, I cross-posted this to the 64bit newsgroup for more
    info. Responses, if any, will post to both newsgroups.

    --
    Regards,
    Ace

    confers no rights.

    Ace Fekay, MCSE 2003 & 2000, MCSA 2003 & 2000, MCSE+I, MCT,
    MVP Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    Microsoft Certified Trainer

    For urgent issues, you may want to contact Microsoft PSS directly. Please

    Infinite Diversities in Infinite Combinations

    Ace Fekay [MVP], Apr 24, 2008

  2. Definitely go with 64-bit here. Assuming you have drivers for the array
    controller that support x64 Windows Server, obviously. As for software -
    most 32-bit software will run fine. The exceptions are software that
    requires a driver (and for which there isn't a 64-bit driver), software that
    acts as an extension to Explorer or some other native Windows application
    that is 64-bit, since you can't call a 32-bit DLL from a 64-bit EXE. And 16
    bit software is simply not supported, period.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 24, 2008