Re: storage problem

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by A, Jun 3, 2005.

  1. A

    A Guest

    Hi - Passed A+ last year and the only multi-boot I have seen is mine except
    one.

    Your question is devious - but good!

    MS does not dual/multiboot unless third party partition management is
    installed, in my case Partition Magic, and then a max of 4 primary
    partitions can be created.

    My oldest PC has a 6GB HDD and boots to a choice of full clean untainted
    installations of 98SE, ME or 2000. Whichever is booted shows as drive C and
    the other partitions are invisible.

    Your "extended" partition can do nothing except give you the opportunity of
    making "logical" drives within it up to drive Z. This is important in A+.

    I have seen one client's PC which she bought 2nd hand with a 20GB HDD
    showing drive C: of 2GB (with pirated OS) : and empty logical partitions
    ending at drive M each of 2GB.

    Why did the person who sold this PC chop up the HDD into drives of 2MB?

    A, Jun 3, 2005

  2. On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 19:30:15 +0000 (UTC), "A" <> wrote:

    >Hi - Passed A+ last year and the only multi-boot I have seen is mine except
    >one.
    >
    >Your question is devious - but good!
    >
    >MS does not dual/multiboot unless third party partition management is
    >installed, in my case Partition Magic, and then a max of 4 primary
    >partitions can be created.

    News to me. Mine worked fine for several years. I'm back to 2k only
    now.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Jun 3, 2005

  3. A

    AG Guest

    "Billy" <> wrote in message

    > "A" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi - Passed A+ last year and the only multi-boot I have seen is mine

    > except
    >> one.
    >>
    >> Your question is devious - but good!
    >>
    >> MS does not dual/multiboot unless third party partition management is
    >> installed, in my case Partition Magic, and then a max of 4 primary
    >> partitions can be created.

    > What are you smoking? You can multi-boot any combination of DOS, Win9X,
    > NT, W2K, and XP, that your hardware will support.
    > You can only use the max of 4 primary partitions or up to 3 primary
    > partitions and multiple (21 more = - A,B,C,D,E + to Z) logical drives in
    > the extended partition; or even start mounting additional drives as a
    > folder; or utilize dynamic disks although you may be moving from
    > partitions to mass storage.
    > Folder mounting example.
    > http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1477&page=5
    >

    >> My oldest PC has a 6GB HDD and boots to a choice of full clean

    > untainted
    >> installations of 98SE, ME or 2000. Whichever is booted shows as drive

    > C and
    >> the other partitions are invisible.
    >>
    >> Your "extended" partition can do nothing except give you the

    > opportunity of
    >> making "logical" drives within it up to drive Z. This is important in

    > A+.
    >>
    >> I have seen one client's PC which she bought 2nd hand with a 20GB HDD
    >> showing drive C: of 2GB (with pirated OS) : and empty logical

    > partitions
    >> ending at drive M each of 2GB.
    >>
    >> Why did the person who sold this PC chop up the HDD into drives of

    > 2MB?
    >
    > Cause they were using Fat16 or early Fat 32 to partition/format the
    > drive.
    > aside - FAT16 formats by (at least) 98SE and above are not recognized by
    > DOS 6.22. Some partition managers report it as a FAT16X format.

    Anybody that doesn't think that this should work needs to look at this page:
    http://www.maximumpc.com/features/feature_2002-09-24.html
    37 Operating systems on one computer and I really don't think that's the
    record. Back when The Screensavers program was worthwhile they had a guy on
    that had done some totally incredible number.

    AG

    AG, Jun 4, 2005