Re: Stopping Messenger messages

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Joel Rubin, Jun 27, 2003.

  1. Joel Rubin

    Joel Rubin Guest

    On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 18:29:19 +0100, Jim <>
    wrote:

    >After installing Norton and Spybot there are still "Messenger" messages
    >appearing on a friend's machine. I've suggested Pop-up Stopper. Any suggestions?
    >Thanks.

    You can stop Windows XP Messenger spam by running services.msc and
    setting the Messenger service (right click) to "disabled".

    Of course, you shouldn't do this if you are actually receiving legit
    messages. (e.g. if you're on a local network with a network
    suprevisor)

    Joel Rubin, Jun 27, 2003

  2. Joel Rubin

    rifleman Guest

    In news:,
    Joel Rubin <> contemplated the little bit of fluff in
    his navel and typed:
    > On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 18:29:19 +0100, Jim <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> After installing Norton and Spybot there are still "Messenger"
    >> messages appearing on a friend's machine. I've suggested Pop-up
    >> Stopper. Any suggestions? Thanks.

    > You can stop Windows XP Messenger spam by running services.msc and
    > setting the Messenger service (right click) to "disabled".
    >
    > Of course, you shouldn't do this if you are actually receiving legit
    > messages. (e.g. if you're on a local network with a network
    > suprevisor)

    But all this only stops the symptoms - the cause is open ports on your
    machine. Get and install a decent firewall.

    rifleman, Jun 27, 2003