Re: Stopping Messenger messages

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by °Mike°, Jun 26, 2003.

  1. °Mike°

    °Mike° Guest

    <Canned response>

    You should install a firewall, since the messenger service uses
    ports 137-139 (NETBIOS), which should be blocked by your
    firewall.

    Right click on 'My Computer', select 'Manage' ... 'Services
    and Applications', double click 'services', double click
    'messenger' and press 'Stop' / Apply / OK.

    Messenger Service Window That Contains an Internet Advertisement
    http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?id=kb;en-us;Q330904

    Windows Messages
    http://www.jmu.edu/computing/security/info/winmsg.shtml

    How to stop Messenger SPAM Disable Windows Messenger Service
    http://www.auburn.edu/oit/security/messengerService.html

    How to Prevent Windows Messenger from Running on a Windows
    XP-Based Computer
    http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?id=kb;en-us;Q302089

    Disable-Remove Windows Messenger

    Firewalls: