Re: Stop-Loss is indentured servitude

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Bert Hyman, Nov 5, 2010.

  1. Bert Hyman

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In news:ib1o0j$k41$ §nühw¤£f
    <> wrote:

    > Dosnt matter how fucked up you get, the pentagon wont let you leave...
    > http://www.commondreams.org/view/2010/11/05-14

    The article you cite has nothing to do with stop loss.

    Stop loss involves an involuntary extension of a term of active duty;
    someone thinks they've enlisted for 3 years, but after three years they
    won't let them leave, extending their active duty up to the term of their
    enlistment, rather than transferring them to inactive or reserve status.

    --
    Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
    Bert Hyman, Nov 5, 2010

  2. Bert Hyman

    richard Guest

    On 05 Nov 2010 20:47:49 GMT, Bert Hyman wrote:

    > In news:ib1o0j$k41$ §nühw¤£f
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Dosnt matter how fucked up you get, the pentagon wont let you leave...
    >> http://www.commondreams.org/view/2010/11/05-14

    > The article you cite has nothing to do with stop loss.
    >
    > Stop loss involves an involuntary extension of a term of active duty;
    > someone thinks they've enlisted for 3 years, but after three years they
    > won't let them leave, extending their active duty up to the term of their
    > enlistment, rather than transferring them to inactive or reserve status.

    Any good lawyer would get them out in a flash.
    I got booted out when I did because if I had 91 days of active service, I
    could get benefits. That was 1970. As a pure all volunteer service, there
    is no legal way to keep someone beyond their enlistment terms. That would
    be slavery, which is illegal.

    Yeah I know Evan, you're gonna come up with the age old shit about my
    service record. Claiming I was dishonorably discharged, which is not the
    truth. I was booted for medical reasons and was HONORABLY discharged. I
    volunteered when the draft was in full swing. I served our country for a
    mere 86 days. Now where is that service record of yours?
    richard, Nov 5, 2010

  3. Bert Hyman

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In news: richard <>
    wrote:

    > On 05 Nov 2010 20:47:49 GMT, Bert Hyman wrote:
    >
    >> In news:ib1o0j$k41$ §nühw¤£f
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Dosnt matter how fucked up you get, the pentagon wont let you
    >>> leave... http://www.commondreams.org/view/2010/11/05-14

    >> The article you cite has nothing to do with stop loss.
    >>
    >> Stop loss involves an involuntary extension of a term of active duty;
    >> someone thinks they've enlisted for 3 years, but after three years
    >> they won't let them leave, extending their active duty up to the term
    >> of their enlistment, rather than transferring them to inactive or
    >> reserve status.

    > Any good lawyer would get them out in a flash.

    Don't think so. It's been challenged and so far as I know, the policy
    has been found to be legal.

    The possibility of having your active duty extended to the term of your
    enlistment is in the contract.

    --
    Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
    Bert Hyman, Nov 5, 2010
  4. Bert Hyman

    cully when Guest

    On 11/5/2010 5:18 PM, richard wrote:
    > On 05 Nov 2010 20:47:49 GMT, Bert Hyman wrote:
    >
    >> In news:ib1o0j$k41$ §nühw¤£f
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Dosnt matter how fucked up you get, the pentagon wont let you leave...
    >>> http://www.commondreams.org/view/2010/11/05-14

    >> The article you cite has nothing to do with stop loss.
    >>
    >> Stop loss involves an involuntary extension of a term of active duty;
    >> someone thinks they've enlisted for 3 years, but after three years they
    >> won't let them leave, extending their active duty up to the term of their
    >> enlistment, rather than transferring them to inactive or reserve status.

    > Any good lawyer would get them out in a flash.
    > I got booted out when I did because if I had 91 days of active service, I
    > could get benefits. That was 1970. As a pure all volunteer service, there
    > is no legal way to keep someone beyond their enlistment terms. That would
    > be slavery, which is illegal.
    >
    > Yeah I know Evan, you're gonna come up with the age old shit about my
    > service record. Claiming I was dishonorably discharged, which is not the
    > truth. I was booted for medical reasons and was HONORABLY discharged. I
    > volunteered when the draft was in full swing. I served our country for a
    > mere 86 days. Now where is that service record of yours?

    If the terms of service haven't changed, a good lawyer will only collect
    money from his client. The fine print when I enlisted included a
    statement that the period you enlisted for could be extended for the
    duration of any conflict while you were in.
    cully when, Nov 5, 2010
  5. Bert Hyman

    richard Guest

    On Fri, 05 Nov 2010 17:32:40 -0400, cully when wrote:

    > On 11/5/2010 5:18 PM, richard wrote:
    >> On 05 Nov 2010 20:47:49 GMT, Bert Hyman wrote:

    >>> The article you cite has nothing to do with stop loss.
    >>>
    >>> Stop loss involves an involuntary extension of a term of active duty;
    >>> someone thinks they've enlisted for 3 years, but after three years they
    >>> won't let them leave, extending their active duty up to the term of their
    >>> enlistment, rather than transferring them to inactive or reserve status.

    >> Any good lawyer would get them out in a flash.
    >> I got booted out when I did because if I had 91 days of active service, I
    >> could get benefits. That was 1970. As a pure all volunteer service, there
    >> is no legal way to keep someone beyond their enlistment terms. That would
    >> be slavery, which is illegal.
    >>
    >> Yeah I know Evan, you're gonna come up with the age old shit about my
    >> service record. Claiming I was dishonorably discharged, which is not the
    >> truth. I was booted for medical reasons and was HONORABLY discharged. I
    >> volunteered when the draft was in full swing. I served our country for a
    >> mere 86 days. Now where is that service record of yours?

    > If the terms of service haven't changed, a good lawyer will only collect
    > money from his client. The fine print when I enlisted included a
    > statement that the period you enlisted for could be extended for the
    > duration of any conflict while you were in.

    That is still slavery. Forcing someone to remain in service against their
    will could also be construed as kidnapping. What if that conflict lasted 20
    years? Like there isn't someone down the line of new people who could not
    replace you if needed?
    richard, Nov 5, 2010
  6. Bert Hyman

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In news: richard <>
    wrote:

    > What if that conflict lasted 20 years?

    We have an all-volunteer military; if that concerns you, don't enlist.

    --
    Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
    Bert Hyman, Nov 5, 2010
  7. Bert Hyman

    Mike Yetto Guest

    richard <> writes and having writ moves on.
    >On 05 Nov 2010 20:47:49 GMT, Bert Hyman wrote:

    >> In news:ib1o0j$k41$ §nühw¤£f
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Dosnt matter how fucked up you get, the pentagon wont let you leave...
    >>> http://www.commondreams.org/view/2010/11/05-14

    >> The article you cite has nothing to do with stop loss.
    >>
    >> Stop loss involves an involuntary extension of a term of active duty;
    >> someone thinks they've enlisted for 3 years, but after three years they
    >> won't let them leave, extending their active duty up to the term of their
    >> enlistment, rather than transferring them to inactive or reserve status.

    >Any good lawyer would get them out in a flash.
    >I got booted out when I did because if I had 91 days of active service, I
    >could get benefits. That was 1970. As a pure all volunteer service, there
    >is no legal way to keep someone beyond their enlistment terms. That would
    >be slavery, which is illegal.

    The contract you sign is for six years. There will be two or
    four years of active duty and the remainder as inactive reserves.
    It is an administrative move for someone to be recalled to or
    kept in active status.

    >Yeah I know Evan, you're gonna come up with the age old shit about my
    >service record. Claiming I was dishonorably discharged, which is not the
    >truth. I was booted for medical reasons and was HONORABLY discharged. I
    >volunteered when the draft was in full swing. I served our country for a
    >mere 86 days. Now where is that service record of yours?

    Your discharge designation notwithstanding, you are not a veteran
    and are not due any consideration of any kind that is due
    veterans.

    Mike "four years USAF, as if that affects your claims" Yetto
    In practice they are not.
    Mike Yetto, Nov 6, 2010
  8. richard <> sucked this out so bad:

    > Any good lawyer... <drivel snipped!>

    That's just st00pid! But then again rts IS just st00pid.
    What does this arse-wipe even know about "good" or "lawyer"
    except for his divorces and his publicks defenners...
    Just because he got some child-molester charges dropped
    doesn't mean he be a draft-dodging terrorist supporter.

    Join the killfile rts club because s/he's just too st00pid!

    HTH.

    --

    I AM Bucky Breeder, (*(^;
    and on the 'AWESOMENESS METER',

    You should not view the world in terms
    and finding acceptance of them as such.

    I could help you with that... but...
    I really just don't like you that much.

    Repent! The end is near.... Or, smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    And... good luck if there's an apocalypse.

    (And some condoms... because I wouldn't want to be the first guy who
    survives the apocolypse on Murray Povich staring at DNA child support.)
    Bucky Breeder, Nov 6, 2010