    From: <>
    Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,24hoursupport.helpdesk
    Sent: Monday, October 18, 2004 1:13 PM
    Subject: "STOP 0x000000ED UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME" Error Message

    T. Thomas, Oct 18, 2004

  2. Please don't post in HTML to a plain text newsgroup. Binaries are for
    binaries groups and they would have "binaries" in the name of the group.

    "T. Thomas" <> chiseled in stone, the following
    words news:FpVcd.271609$D%.235509@attbi_s51:

    <schnippen HTML bloat>

    @}-}-------Rosee, Oct 19, 2004

  3. @}-}-------Rosee wrote:

    > Please don't post in HTML to a plain text newsgroup. Binaries are for
    > binaries groups and they would have "binaries" in the name of the group.

    Please do not top-post, or post a shitfull of pages without snipping
    selectively to your reply.

    > "T. Thomas" <> chiseled in stone, the following
    > words news:FpVcd.271609$D%.235509@attbi_s51:

    Do not include the message-id in your attrib line, it's already there as
    reference in the headers. Keep the attrib line short (one line). Thanks.

    >> wrote....
    >>> I have had WinXP Pro installed on an 80G WD harddrive since April.
    >>> After hundreds of boots, I now get the apparently well-known error
    >>> message
    >>>
    >>> "STOP 0x000000ED UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME"
    >>>
    >>> This started suddenly for no reason. I had used the computer the
    >>> night before to scan some pictures, shut it down, and the next day
    >>> saw this message. There had been no software or hardware changes. I
    >>> searched old postings and went to the MS website and the message
    >>> seems to flag the cable or harddrive. The cable is the proper 80 pin.
    >>> I have an old 30G harddrive with WinXP that I had used before
    >>> upgrading to the 80G WD, so I unplugged the WD and plugged in the old
    >>> harddive, and it booted perfectly, so did an old Win98 harddrive. At
    >>> this point I thought bad harddrive or corrupted files, so I made the
    >>> WD a slave and booted XP with the old 30G. I could see and read the
    >>> WD, however, everything under MY DOCUMENTS either was gone or was
    >>> invisible to me. Everything else was readable. It's the files in MY
    >>> DOCUMENTS I want to get. Not all of them are backed up. The next

    OP: You have to take ownership as administrator.

    >>> thing I tried was to place the WD back as the C: drive and to boot
    >>> from the WINXP CD, thinking I would try to repair the installation.
    >>> However, the computer sees the CD, says it can boot from it, seems to
    >>> start the process, then hangs. I tried the same thing with the old
    >>> WinXP harddrive as C: and it boots properly from the CD.
    >>> So, my questions are,
    >>> 1) Does this sound like a bad harddrive?

    OP: Probably just the partition/boot record. Time to backup (after you did
    the ownership thing).

    >>> 3) Why can't I see the contents of MY DOCUMENTS when the WD is a
    >>> slave and I'm booting to another harddrive? Are the contents gone or
    >>> are they hidden since the administrator of the WD drive did not log
    >>> in? Do I need to reset some permissions on the WD somehow, and can I
    >>> do that from the old 30G drive?

    OP: Your installs got different SIDs for your user account, and even as
    admin the personal folders are protected by default. But you can set it
    back by taking ownership (advanced button ....).

    >>> 4) Can I use the WinXP CD to repair the WD drive? How can I get the
    >>> system to finish booting from the CD? How can the WD harddrive affect
    >>> booting from the CD?

    OP: After you backuped the important data, try repair console and
    bootcfg /scan, fixboot, fixmbr.
    >> ------=_NextPart_001_002A_01C4B52C.88BEF160

    > <schnippen HTML bloat>

    Go away.
    Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.8reiser4pkt [LinuxCounter#295241]
    Walter Mautner, Oct 19, 2004
  4. T. Thomas

    Sano Guest

    Jeez Rosee I thought you were losin' it!

    But I guess Indidvual.net just dropped the dufus's post. <G>

    On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 22:12:23 -0500, @}-}-------Rosee wrote:

    > Please don't post in HTML to a plain text newsgroup. Binaries are for
    > binaries groups and they would have "binaries" in the name of the group.
    >

    > "T. Thomas" <> chiseled in stone, the following
    > words news:FpVcd.271609$D%.235509@attbi_s51:
    >
    >> ------=_NextPart_001_002A_01C4B52C.88BEF160--
    >> ------=_NextPart_000_0029_01C4B52C.88BEF160
    >>
    >> Clear DayI think these links may help you out with this particular
    >> problem. http://www.microsoft.com/technet/ prodtechnol/winxppro
    >> /reskit/prmd_stp_woft.asp http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=297185
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315403

    >> wrote....
    >>> I have had WinXP Pro installed on an 80G WD harddrive since April.
    >>> After hundreds of boots, I now get the apparently well-known error
    >>> message
    >>>
    >>> "STOP 0x000000ED UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME"
    >>>
    >>> This started suddenly for no reason. I had used the computer the
    >>> night before to scan some pictures, shut it down, and the next day

    <snip>
    Sano, Oct 20, 2004
  5. My psychiatrist hasn't informed me if I am losin' it. I'll
    charge him if he doesn't tell me soon....;o) Maybe he needs
    to up my lithium and provide a valium drip.....;o/\

    Sano <> chiseled in stone, the following words

    @}-}-------Rosee, Oct 20, 2004
  6. T. Thomas

    Sano Guest

    I'll charge up your lithiums for ya. <EG>

    Sano, Oct 21, 2004
  7. OOOooooooo....I'll keep that in mind....;oþ

    @}-}-------Rosee, Oct 21, 2004