Re: Stiching

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by John Houghton, Jul 13, 2003.

  1. "Duncan" <duncan(remove)smith99@(remove)hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Have tried stitching photos together to create an wide panorama but end
    > result very poor.
    >
    > Any tips - I am using Ulead version 8.
    >
    > Also is it possible to hand hold the camera or is there a motorised

    tripod.

    > I need to create some internals of properties and externals of gardens for
    > web site 'virtual tours'.

    It depends on your camera, but if you can fit a wide angle lens or fisheye
    lens, you would reduce the number of images you have to work with
    considerably. For indoor panos, it is virtually essential to mount your
    camera so that it rotates about the nodal point of the lens. This will
    avoid all problems caused by parallax. (You want the image processing to be
    as straightforward as possible).

    I agree that Panorama Tools with either PTAssembler or PTGui or PTMac is the
    way to go. You would find it extremely helpful to register with the pano
    tools discussion group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PanoTools/ . They
    will have come across all the problems you are going to have. You can also
    see the sort of results other people are getting and how they got them.

    There are several tutorials around for Panorama Tools. On no account
    attempt to use it without one of the three helpers mentioned above. I have
    a tutorial for PTGui at http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.houghton/pttute.htm
    , which is a beginner's guide. PTAssembler and PTMac are very similar.

    John

    John Houghton, Jul 13, 2003

  2. John Houghton

    cdcochran Guest

    Hi John,

    A fisheye lens will have a curvature at the edges which makes
    matching the stitch area difficult. Even my point-n-shoot camera with a
    38mm lens introduces some curvature. That's why most recommend shooting
    with about 1/3 overlap to give you an area with the least curvature and
    the best chance of matching the stitch area on both photos. I select an
    area about 1/3 in from the edge with the least amount of conflict, crop
    each pair so I have about 1/8" overlap and use the clone tool to blend
    the stitch. Scenery and buildings are pretty easy to fix but it takes a
    lot of effort to match animals and people, especially faces. Photos with
    a lot of horizonal lines(curbs, sidewalks, fences, etc)in the stitching
    area present more problems the farther you get from the center of your
    photos.

    For a beginner, it will be easier and take less time to stitch more
    pictures than correcting mismatched edges with fewer pictures. With
    experience, most will learn to take their panoramic intended photos with
    the knowledge of where the problem areas will be and allow for them.

    Just my opinion,

    Chuck

    cdcochran, Jul 22, 2003

  3. "cdcochran" <> wrote in message
    > Hi John,
    >
    > A fisheye lens will have a curvature at the edges which makes
    > matching the stitch area difficult. Even my point-n-shoot camera with a
    > 38mm lens introduces some curvature. That's why most recommend shooting
    > with about 1/3 overlap to give you an area with the least curvature and
    > the best chance of matching the stitch area on both photos.

    Curvature is not a problem - it can be easily corrected by software. You
    are making things difficult for yourself by trying to make images match up
    when they cannot (except possibly along a line midway across the overlap
    area). You really should try Panorama Tools with PTGui or PTAssembler. You
    can output the stitched image as a layered .PSD file with masks. The
    individual images will be transformed so that they match up within a pixel
    or two over a large area. Any problems caused by object movement or
    parallax can usually be dealt with by re-routing the seams (via edits to the
    layer masks). It is seldom necessary to resort to cloning.

    You can also correct for converging verticals and curved horizons very
    simply. You obviously take a lot of care making panoramas the way that you
    do, but I feel sure you would appreciate the precision stitching that can be
    easily achieved whilst retaining the ability to edit the layered result in
    Photoshop.

    Try Pano Tools and PTGui on a 30 day free trial from www.ptgui.com . It
    takes a bit of time to learn how to use it effectively, but there's a sample
    quickstart project included in my tutorial that can be successfully
    completed within half-an-hour or so and should convince you that it's a
    superior way of doing the job.

    John Houghton, Jul 22, 2003
  4. On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 19:55:52 GMT, cdcochran <>
    wrote:

    >Hi John,
    >
    > A fisheye lens will have a curvature at the edges which makes
    >matching the stitch area difficult. Even my point-n-shoot camera with a
    >38mm lens introduces some curvature. That's why most recommend shooting
    >with about 1/3 overlap to give you an area with the least curvature and

    I've used the Oly E-20N with the lens at 18 mm and about a quarter
    over lap.. Then stitching with Photoshop Elements. I haven't had to
    do any blending at the stitch point. The photo includes a fence,
    paved road, house with siding and a drive way. The finished photo
    covers about 270 degrees.

    www.rogerhalstead.com
    N833R World's oldest Debonair? (S# CD-2)

    <snip for bandwidth>

    Roger Halstead, Jul 24, 2003