Re: Steve Jobs: Funniest line of the decade

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mr. Strat, May 14, 2010.

  1. Mr. Strat

    Mr. Strat Guest

    In article <>, Rich
    <> wrote:

    > The head of Apple said this?!!! Amazing gall.
    >
    > BBC:
    > It follows a letter from Apple boss Steve Jobs in which he defended his
    > firm's decision not to allow Adobe's Flash technology on many of its
    > popular products.
    >
    > Mr Jobs described Adobe's software - used on many websites for video and
    > animations - as a "closed system" and "100% proprietary".
    >
    > "While Adobe's Flash products are widely available, this does not mean they
    > are open, since they are controlled entirely by Adobe and available only
    > from Adobe."


    Flash is technology that sucks. It needs to go away. Even Microsoft has
    sided with Jobs. And Adobe software in general is getting more
    virus-prone that Windows.
     
    Mr. Strat, May 14, 2010
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Mr. Strat

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Mr. Strat <> wrote:
    > Rich
    >> The head of Apple said this?!!! Amazing gall.
    >>
    >> BBC:
    >> It follows a letter from Apple boss Steve Jobs in which he defended his
    >> firm's decision not to allow Adobe's Flash technology on many of its
    >> popular products.
    >>
    >> Mr Jobs described Adobe's software - used on many websites for video and
    >> animations - as a "closed system" and "100% proprietary".
    >>
    >> "While Adobe's Flash products are widely available, this does not mean they
    >> are open, since they are controlled entirely by Adobe and available only
    >> from Adobe."

    >
    >Flash is technology that sucks. It needs to go away.


    Is that what Jobs told you to say?

    > Even Microsoft has
    >sided with Jobs.


    Notice that Flash works quite well on Windows systems.

    Maybe you're ... "confused".

    --
    Ray Fischer
     
    Ray Fischer, May 15, 2010
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Mr. Strat

    nospam Guest

    In article <4bee2040$0$1649$>, Ray Fischer
    <> wrote:

    > > Even Microsoft has
    > >sided with Jobs.

    >
    > Notice that Flash works quite well on Windows systems.


    so why would microsoft say flash will go away one day?
     
    nospam, May 15, 2010
    #3
  4. Mr. Strat

    Ray Fischer Guest

    nospam <> wrote:
    > Ray Fischer <> wrote:
    >
    >> > Even Microsoft has
    >> >sided with Jobs.

    >>
    >> Notice that Flash works quite well on Windows systems.

    >
    >so why would microsoft say flash will go away one day?


    Maybe because Microsoft wants to provide the replacement?

    Hmmm?

    --
    Ray Fischer
     
    Ray Fischer, May 15, 2010
    #4
  5. Mr. Strat

    nospam Guest

    In article <4bee238c$0$1640$>, Ray Fischer
    <> wrote:

    > >so why would microsoft say flash will go away one day?

    >
    > Maybe because Microsoft wants to provide the replacement?


    they specifically said html5, not silverlight.
     
    nospam, May 15, 2010
    #5
  6. Mr. Strat

    Ray Fischer Guest

    nospam <> wrote:
    > Ray Fischer
    >
    >> >so why would microsoft say flash will go away one day?

    >>
    >> Maybe because Microsoft wants to provide the replacement?

    >
    >they specifically said html5, not silverlight.


    Who provides web browsers?
    Microsoft and Apple.
    Who doesn't? Adobe.

    --
    Ray Fischer
     
    Ray Fischer, May 15, 2010
    #6
  7. Mr. Strat

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    >On 2010-05-14 21:17:04 -0700, (Ray Fischer) said:
    >
    >> Mr. Strat <> wrote:
    >>> Rich
    >>>> The head of Apple said this?!!! Amazing gall.
    >>>>
    >>>> BBC:
    >>>> It follows a letter from Apple boss Steve Jobs in which he defended his
    >>>> firm's decision not to allow Adobe's Flash technology on many of its
    >>>> popular products.
    >>>>
    >>>> Mr Jobs described Adobe's software - used on many websites for video and
    >>>> animations - as a "closed system" and "100% proprietary".
    >>>>
    >>>> "While Adobe's Flash products are widely available, this does not mean they
    >>>> are open, since they are controlled entirely by Adobe and available only
    >>>> from Adobe."
    >>>
    >>> Flash is technology that sucks. It needs to go away.

    >>
    >> Is that what Jobs told you to say?
    >>
    >>> Even Microsoft has
    >>> sided with Jobs.

    >>
    >> Notice that Flash works quite well on Windows systems.
    >>
    >> Maybe you're ... "confused".

    >
    >Actually Flash works just fine on Macs.


    As do several different web browsers.

    >The Flash battle ground for Jobs is the iPhone & iPad.


    Which Apple controls completely.

    --
    Ray Fischer
     
    Ray Fischer, May 15, 2010
    #7
  8. Mr. Strat

    Peter Guest

    "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
    news:2010051421461222503-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom...
    > On 2010-05-14 21:17:04 -0700, (Ray Fischer) said:
    >


    > Actually Flash works just fine on Macs.
    >
    > The Flash battle ground for Jobs is the iPhone & iPad. It was initiated
    > when Adobe hesitated on developing Flash for the iPhone 2 years ago. Jobs,
    > obviously slighted has voiced his displeasure with Adobe, resulting in the
    > deadlock.
    > The underlying issue being Apple control of Flash games for iPhone, iPod
    > Touch, and the iPad.
    > I have survived without them.
    >


    I seem to be surviving without Flash games for any platform, and the iPhone
    iPod and iPad. though I must admit the Droid phone is tempting me.


    --
    Peter
     
    Peter, May 15, 2010
    #8
  9. Mr. Strat

    nospam Guest

    In article <4bee4250$0$1641$>, Ray Fischer
    <> wrote:

    > Who provides web browsers?
    > Microsoft and Apple.


    plus mozilla firefox, google chrome, opera and some smaller ones.

    > Who doesn't? Adobe.


    one source.
     
    nospam, May 15, 2010
    #9
  10. Mr. Strat

    nospam Guest

    In article <4bee4282$0$1641$>, Ray Fischer
    <> wrote:

    > >The Flash battle ground for Jobs is the iPhone & iPad.

    >
    > Which Apple controls completely.


    versus flash, which adobe controls completely.
     
    nospam, May 15, 2010
    #10
  11. Mr. Strat

    Ray Fischer Guest

    nospam <> wrote:
    >In article <4bee4282$0$1641$>, Ray Fischer
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> >The Flash battle ground for Jobs is the iPhone & iPad.

    >>
    >> Which Apple controls completely.

    >
    >versus flash, which adobe controls completely.


    That's stupid. Adobe cannot force anybody to use flash, but Apple
    does force people to not use Flash.

    --
    Ray Fischer
     
    Ray Fischer, May 15, 2010
    #11
  12. Mr. Strat

    nospam Guest

    In article <4beeabf9$0$1645$>, Ray Fischer
    <> wrote:

    > >> >The Flash battle ground for Jobs is the iPhone & iPad.
    > >>
    > >> Which Apple controls completely.

    > >
    > >versus flash, which adobe controls completely.

    >
    > That's stupid. Adobe cannot force anybody to use flash, but Apple
    > does force people to not use Flash.


    apple doesn't force anyone to buy its products. if you want flash, buy
    something else.
     
    nospam, May 15, 2010
    #12
  13. Mr. Strat

    J. Clarke Guest

    On 5/15/2010 9:32 AM, nospam wrote:
    > In article<4bee4250$0$1641$>, Ray Fischer
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Who provides web browsers?
    >> Microsoft and Apple.

    >
    > plus mozilla firefox, google chrome, opera and some smaller ones.


    Writing a web browser used to be a fad. I remember a Dilbert in which
    Ratbert ran across the keyboard and Dilbert says "Oh, crap, Ratbert, you
    wrote a web browser".

    If he thinks that that's some kind of accomplishment he needs to retire.

    >> Who doesn't? Adobe.

    >
    > one source.
     
    J. Clarke, May 15, 2010
    #13
  14. Mr. Strat

    GMAN Guest

    In article <150520100027241010%>, nospam <> wrote:
    >In article <4bee2040$0$1649$>, Ray Fischer
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> > Even Microsoft has
    >> >sided with Jobs.

    >>
    >> Notice that Flash works quite well on Windows systems.

    >
    >so why would microsoft say flash will go away one day?

    Because both Microsoft and Apple want us to use THEIR proprietary software
    that they have total control over the money flow!
     
    GMAN, May 15, 2010
    #14
  15. Mr. Strat

    GMAN Guest

    In article <150520101018056546%>, nospam <> wrote:
    >In article <4beeabf9$0$1645$>, Ray Fischer
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> >> >The Flash battle ground for Jobs is the iPhone & iPad.
    >> >>
    >> >> Which Apple controls completely.
    >> >
    >> >versus flash, which adobe controls completely.

    >>
    >> That's stupid. Adobe cannot force anybody to use flash, but Apple
    >> does force people to not use Flash.

    >
    >apple doesn't force anyone to buy its products. if you want flash, buy
    >something else.

    No, but apple has this uncanny ability to attract all of the the me too
    douchebags and lemmings of the computing world.
     
    GMAN, May 15, 2010
    #15
  16. Mr. Strat

    nospam Guest

    In article <6pzHn.114240$1.easynews.com>, GMAN
    <> wrote:

    > >so why would microsoft say flash will go away one day?

    > Because both Microsoft and Apple want us to use THEIR proprietary software
    > that they have total control over the money flow!


    except that they're saying html5 is the future, something that isn't
    proprietary to either company.
     
    nospam, May 15, 2010
    #16
  17. Mr. Strat

    GMAN Guest

    In article <C81438B1.45177%>, George Kerby <> wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >On 5/15/10 1:43 AM, in article 4bee4282$0$1641$, "Ray
    >Fischer" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    >>> On 2010-05-14 21:17:04 -0700, (Ray Fischer) said:
    >>>
    >>>> Mr. Strat <> wrote:
    >>>>> Rich
    >>>>>> The head of Apple said this?!!! Amazing gall.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> BBC:
    >>>>>> It follows a letter from Apple boss Steve Jobs in which he defended his
    >>>>>> firm's decision not to allow Adobe's Flash technology on many of its
    >>>>>> popular products.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> Mr Jobs described Adobe's software - used on many websites for video and
    >>>>>> animations - as a "closed system" and "100% proprietary".
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> "While Adobe's Flash products are widely available, this does not mean
    >>>>>> they
    >>>>>> are open, since they are controlled entirely by Adobe and available only
    >>>>>> from Adobe."
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Flash is technology that sucks. It needs to go away.
    >>>>
    >>>> Is that what Jobs told you to say?
    >>>>
    >>>>> Even Microsoft has
    >>>>> sided with Jobs.
    >>>>
    >>>> Notice that Flash works quite well on Windows systems.
    >>>>
    >>>> Maybe you're ... "confused".
    >>>
    >>> Actually Flash works just fine on Macs.

    >>
    >> As do several different web browsers.
    >>
    >>> The Flash battle ground for Jobs is the iPhone & iPad.

    >>
    >> Which Apple controls completely.

    >
    >As they should...
    >

    That type of control and thinking went out of style in the 80's and is what
    drove the Atarii ST and AMIGA markets into the ground. Its even what killed
    the old TI 99/4a, not letting others make carts for the computer.
     
    GMAN, May 15, 2010
    #17
  18. Mr. Strat

    Peter Guest

    "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
    news:2010051508240431729-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom...
    > On 2010-05-15 05:12:00 -0700, "Peter" <> said:
    >
    >> "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
    >> news:2010051421461222503-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom...
    >>> On 2010-05-14 21:17:04 -0700, (Ray Fischer) said:
    >>>

    >>
    >>> Actually Flash works just fine on Macs.
    >>>
    >>> The Flash battle ground for Jobs is the iPhone & iPad. It was initiated
    >>> when Adobe hesitated on developing Flash for the iPhone 2 years ago.
    >>> Jobs, obviously slighted has voiced his displeasure with Adobe,
    >>> resulting in the deadlock.
    >>> The underlying issue being Apple control of Flash games for iPhone, iPod
    >>> Touch, and the iPad.
    >>> I have survived without them.
    >>>

    >>
    >> I seem to be surviving without Flash games for any platform, and the
    >> iPhone iPod and iPad. though I must admit the Droid phone is tempting me.

    >
    > I am using Droid on Verizon, with a Motorola "Devour" and it has been
    > problem free.
    > Slide out keyboard, makes things much better for me, than touch screen
    > phones. E-mail works just fine. set up is simple, interfaces with my Macs,
    > without issue. So far I am impressed.


    That purchase must be cleared with the minister of communications.

    >
    > Even though I am a Mac user I remain iPhone free, as the dreaded AT&T
    > service remains conspicuous in its absence in the wilds of the California
    > Central Coast.
    >


    Folks I know here with ATT service all say it really sucks, in many parts of
    the East Coast too.
    We got rid of ATT years ago, for a similar reason. The final straw was when
    I was charged with roaming fees for calls made from a few blocks away from
    other calls.


    --
    Peter
     
    Peter, May 15, 2010
    #18
  19. Mr. Strat

    Bruce Guest

    On Sat, 15 May 2010 17:15:56 GMT,
    (GMAN) wrote:
    >In article <C81438B1.45177%>, George Kerby <> wrote:
    >>On 5/15/10 1:43 AM, in article 4bee4282$0$1641$, "Ray
    >>Fischer" <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Which Apple controls completely.

    >>
    >>As they should...
    >>

    >That type of control and thinking went out of style in the 80's and is what
    >drove the Atarii ST and AMIGA markets into the ground. Its even what killed
    >the old TI 99/4a, not letting others make carts for the computer.



    Similar thinking was/is killing Sony.
     
    Bruce, May 15, 2010
    #19
  20. Mr. Strat

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Mxsmanic <> wrote:
    >GMAN writes:
    >
    >> Because both Microsoft and Apple want us to use THEIR proprietary software
    >> that they have total control over the money flow!

    >
    >Flash doesn't really have any use or place on the Web except as an embedded
    >video player, and even that will change.


    You're not actually in the software business, are you?

    --
    Ray Fischer
     
    Ray Fischer, May 15, 2010
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Mikey
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    3,613
    Tonester
    Sep 14, 2006
  2. Roger Johnstone
    Replies:
    54
    Views:
    1,151
    Bruce Sinclair
    Feb 12, 2007
  3. nospam

    Re: Steve Jobs: Funniest line of the decade

    nospam, May 14, 2010, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    9
    Views:
    289
    Ray Fischer
    May 15, 2010
  4. SMS

    Re: Steve Jobs: Funniest line of the decade

    SMS, May 16, 2010, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    29
    Views:
    565
    nospam
    May 17, 2010
  5. RichA
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    237
    Joe Makowiec
    Feb 6, 2013
Loading...

Share This Page