Re: Spyware..Trojan?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by sandy58, Sep 10, 2008.

  1. sandy58

    sandy58 Guest

    http://www.askvg.com/how-to-create-a-shortcut-icon-or-hotkey-to-enable-disable-windows-firewall/
    sandy58, Sep 10, 2008

  2. sandy58

    JTJersey Guest

    On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 13:11:43 -0400, Dave C. wrote:

    > "sandy58" <> wrote in message

    > On Sep 9, 6:26 pm, "Dave C." <> wrote:
    >> A few days ago I was hit with spyware/trojan. I removed my McAfee and
    >> reinstalled it and was unprotected for about one half day. Thats when
    >> it seemed to happen. I found two files that were installed in my
    >> Programs which caused part of the problem (sav.exe and 75.exe)

    > http://www.askvg.com/how-to-create-a-shortcut-icon-or-hotkey-to-enable-

    disable-windows-firewall/

    > Thanks, Sandy, for the tip. I also am embarrassed in that I have been
    > looking for the security shield, and if I looked in my Control Panel,
    > there lies the firewall icon. That site above is new to me and is a
    > good one for other things too.
    >
    > After many hours, I solved my problem. What I did was to run the
    > anti-spyware program, Ad-Aware, reboot, check msconfig for rogue
    > entries, unchecked the rogue entries, rebooted, then repeat all these
    > steps probably 5 to 10 times until the rogue stuff was finally cleaned
    > up.
    >
    > By the way, when I scanned my system with McAfee (comes with Comcast at
    > no extra cost) it did not pick up any spyware or the two Trojans that my
    > anti-spyware found and ultimately handled. I was a little disappointed
    > with that.
    >
    > Thanks for your helpful reply.
    >
    > Dave C.

    Get rid of McAfee from Comcast and replace it with AVG Free, update it
    and run a full scan. You are more than likely not as clean as you hope.
    This type of virus can relaunch itself at a preset time. Also, as a
    precaution, shut down System Restore. Often the virus will copy itself
    to the System Restore file which helps it elude scanners then it will
    recopy itself back to your system. If you get a clean scan from AVG go
    to Symantics website and do an online scan. After that, go to TrendMicro
    Housecall and do another online scan. If everything comes up OK turn
    System Restore back on. Unchecking the rogue entries doesn't eliminate
    them and what is SuperAntiSpywareFree? Did it show up when your problem
    started and offer to clean the virus?

    --
    Registered Linux User #267152
    JTJersey, Sep 10, 2008