Re: spyware story

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by GTS, Sep 18, 2008.

  1. GTS

    GTS Guest

    "dennis meissner" <> wrote in message
    > Hi All...
    > Well I been looking at the posts in this group on almost a daily basis...
    > haven't contributed a lot but just had something occur this evening I
    > wanted to pass on.
    >
    > I do a part-time pc and network support business and during the last few
    > weeks have had customers get a nasty spyware that basically replaces the
    > background with usually a white screen with a large gray and red box in
    > the middle and a message "warning spyware detected on your computer".
    >
    > The normal route running spybot, adaware, superantispyware are ineffective
    > (haven't tried spysweeper or sypware doctor yet). Also on every case I
    > came across the system restore points are wiped out. Nasty!
    >
    > The systems I worked on were fortunately in the 2-3 year old range so I
    > advised the customers that maybe a data backup and system rebuild may be
    > in order. It would not only definitely fix the spyware problems but also
    > give them a clean system once again. Easy fixes.
    >
    > Then tonight comes along and I wanted to do more research into this thing.
    > I found a thread in one of the discussion forums that look like there may
    > be a resolution to this nasty bug. Two utilities were mentioned
    > Malwarebytes and ComboFix. Both were hyperlinked. When I right-clicked
    > on them I opened each one of them into a new window. The prompt was then
    > to either run or save... thought it would be safe to save them onto my
    > flash drive. Which seemed reasonable and safe...
    >
    > Well safe it wasn't! A soon as I downloaded them (again to my flash
    > drive) I was hit with the same attack I was trying to investigate.
    > arrrrgh! Fortunately I was able to go to system restore and found I still
    > had my restore points intact... system restore was successful and all is
    > working well again.
    >
    > Not sure if I would have waited or maybe rebooted after the attack I would
    > have lost the restore points... just glad they were there.
    >
    > Anyone else come across this? Any solutions? A known good spyware/adware
    > removal tool that will take care of this?
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > Dennis

    You may be referring to "XP Antivirus 2008" - currently a widespread
    infection. Malwarebytes is effective against it. If you are claiming to
    be qualified to do service work, you certainly should know better than to
    download anything from a link found in a forum and infect your own machine.
    Downloads should only be done from a reliable source. Majorgeeks.com is a
    one good source for anti spyware and other programs. Malwarebytes.org is
    the home site of that program.
    GTS, Sep 18, 2008