Re: spyware help

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by derek / nul, Jun 29, 2003.

  1. derek / nul

    derek / nul Guest

    Put an entry like this at the end of your "hosts" file

    127.0.0.1 static.smni.com

    For win95,98,ME its in c:\windows\

    for NT4, 2000 its in c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\

    I think
    for XP its in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\

    derek / nul, Jun 29, 2003

  2. derek / nul

    Richard Guest

    "JiLs" <> wrote in message
    > thanks derek; can you explain to me what this will do?
    > currently my hosts file ends thus:
    > *********
    > # Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
    > # lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
    > #
    > # For example:
    > #
    > # 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
    > # 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host
    >
    > 127.0.0.1 localhost
    > *********
    >
    > so .. i should put 127.0.0.1 static.smni.com right after that last line?

    If it does nothing after you do, simply remove the line you entered and try
    something else.
    If you have "messenger" active, it's most likely using that as a source.

    http://www.CrazyBrowser.com,

    Get this shell add on for IE and watch it destroy popups.
    as a matter of fact, you might not never see a popup with it.
    besides, it loads faster.

    Richard, Jun 29, 2003

  3. derek / nul

    JiLs Guest

    derek, i followed your instructions. limited success, i still got the ad window, just
    the pictures didn't show, only as red Xs!!

    any other advice gratefully accepted!

    JiLs, Jun 29, 2003
  4. derek / nul

    JiLs Guest

    www.google.com

    and anywhere else that i go after that. assorted searches, bulletin boards, nothing
    specific.

    JiLs, Jun 29, 2003
  5. derek / nul

    JiLs Guest

    just went to www.crazybrowser.com, that caused a banner from static.smni to popup. no
    graphics, an empty banner, but still there .. how do these bastards get away with
    doing this? i recall reading that a 1% success rate is all they need. it's hard to
    believe anyone would read the ads, but i guess someone must.

    JiLs, Jun 29, 2003
  6. derek / nul

    Mara Guest

    On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 20:37:18 +1000, JiLs wrote:

    >just went to www.crazybrowser.com, that caused a banner from static.smni to popup. no
    >graphics, an empty banner, but still there .. how do these bastards get away with
    >doing this? i recall reading that a 1% success rate is all they need. it's hard to
    >believe anyone would read the ads, but i guess someone must.

    Download and use Mozilla for your browser, and set it to suppress popups. It's
    free, too.

    "And if you're running Windows XP, disable the Messenger service. I saw where
    you said you're running IE 6, but not what OS."

    <snip>

    --
    "I'm all for co-ed naked spam fighting."
    -- Ereshkigal, nanae, 8/05/2000

    Mara, Jun 29, 2003
  7. derek / nul

    derek / nul Guest

    Ok, a google search on "smni.com" reveals that smni.com is a 'pest'

    http://www.safersite.com/PestInfo/db/s/smni_com.asp

    It appears to be cookie based, so deleting some cookies may get rid of it.

    This may help
    http://www.geocities.com/spywarekilla/how_to_remove_spyware.html

    derek / nul, Jun 29, 2003
  8. derek / nul

    JiLs Guest

    when i search google for smni.com, i get
    "Sorry, no information is available for the URL smni.com"

    why is this so? !!

    JiLs, Jun 29, 2003
  9. derek / nul

    Michael Guest

    "JiLs" <> wrote in message
    > shit bugger. i spoke too soon.
    > just did a search on google .. for digital video cameras, just to indicate

    that it
    > was an innocuous search.
    > soon as the google results appeared, so did the wretched smni banner.
    > i was using IE, forgot about CB.
    >
    > search cookies, find there's now a smni cookie back in there.
    >
    > right now i'd like to visit smni and throw a brick through its window.

    Gee... you coulda dropped something nasty on their heads when you flew over
    them the other day. :)

    Registrant:
    Santa Monica Networks
    227 Broadway, #304
    Santa Monica, California 90401
    United States

    Registered through: Go Daddy Software (http://www.godaddy.com)
    Domain Name: SMNI.COM
    Created on: 06-May-03
    Expires on: 18-Nov-04
    Last Updated on: 22-Jun-03

    Administrative Contact:
    Sudd, James
    Santa Monica Networks
    227 Broadway, #304
    Santa Monica, California 90401
    United States
    310-587-0714 Fax --
    Technical Contact:
    Sudd, James
    Santa Monica Networks
    227 Broadway, #304
    Santa Monica, California 90401
    United States
    310-587-0714 Fax --

    Domain servers in listed order:
    NS1.SMNI.COM
    AUTH1.DNS.COGENTCO.COM
    AUTH2.DNS.COGENTCO.COM

    Michael, Jun 30, 2003
  10. derek / nul

    JiLs Guest

    NOW you tell me. but maybe it can still be arranged ...

    JiLs, Jun 30, 2003