Re: Spyder 2 and Windows 7.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Vance, Feb 3, 2011.

  1. Vance

    Vance Guest

    On Feb 3, 1:32 am, Eric Stevens <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 03 Feb 2011 17:43:16 +1100, N <> wrote:
    > >On 3/02/2011, Eric Stevens wrote:
    > >> I have just put my old XP machine into semi-retirement and gone over
    > >> to real Gee-Whiz device running 64 bit Windows 7. I have been
    > >> disconcerted to find that my trusty Spyder 2 from ColorVision no
    > >> longer runs properly, even with the appropriate updated driver.
    > >> Particularly it 'dings' in the middle of the screen section as though
    > >> to indicate an error and is unable to save the adjusted monitor
    > >> profile at the end.

    > >> Has anyone else struck this problem, and were they able to make it
    > >> work?

    > >> If I'm unable to get Spyder 2 working properly I will have to replace
    > >> it. I expect there will be many opinions as to the state of the art
    > >> and I would like to hear recommendations as to what I should buy.

    > >> One thing is certain, I can't continue with an uncalibrated monitor.
    > >> Regards,

    > >> Eric Stevens.

    > >> There are two classes of people. Those who divide people into
    > >> two classes, and those who don't. I belong to the second class

    > >Did you Google it?
    > >http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=132446
    > >and probably plenty more results.

    > >I use a ColorMunki on Windows 7 64 bit and it works fine.

    > Yes (of course I Googled it) but that doesn't really give me any sense
    > of user experiences. That's why I asked the news group.
    >
    > As far as my immediate problem is concerned, I've now got Spyder 2 to
    > the point where I can complete a profile but I can't save it:
    >
    >   "Sorry, there was a problem installing the profile
    >    (InstallColorProfile)"
    >
    >    "Error 5 (CMS Support 327"
    >
    >    "Access is denied"
    >
    > Apparently I can deal with this problem with the aid of Spyder's
    > 'Profile Chooser' except this latest driver which I have downloaded
    > shows no sign of the menu through which this (and other things) are
    > supposedly accessible.- Hide quoted text -

    Try an install as administrator, not as a user. It looks like you are
    running into one of the UAC (User Access Control) irritations of Win
    7.

    Vance

    Vance, Feb 3, 2011

  2. Vance

    Vance Guest

    On Feb 3, 12:39 pm, Eric Stevens <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 3 Feb 2011 06:18:39 -0800 (PST), Vance <>
    > wrote:

    > >> Yes (of course I Googled it) but that doesn't really give me any sense
    > >> of user experiences. That's why I asked the news group.

    > >> As far as my immediate problem is concerned, I've now got Spyder 2 to
    > >> the point where I can complete a profile but I can't save it:

    > >>   "Sorry, there was a problem installing the profile
    > >>    (InstallColorProfile)"

    > >>    "Error 5 (CMS Support 327"

    > >>    "Access is denied"

    > >> Apparently I can deal with this problem with the aid of Spyder's
    > >> 'Profile Chooser' except this latest driver which I have downloaded
    > >> shows no sign of the menu through which this (and other things) are
    > >> supposedly accessible.- Hide quoted text -

    > >Try an install as administrator, not as a user.  It looks like you are
    > >running into one of the UAC (User Access Control) irritations of Win
    > >7.

    > Unfortunately, I am already the administrator. I suspect I am being
    > locked out by a setting somewhere.- Hide quoted text -

    Try turning the UAC completely off.

    Vance

    Vance, Feb 3, 2011

  3. Vance

    Vance Guest

    On Feb 3, 1:31 pm, N <> wrote:
    > On 4/02/2011, Eric Stevens wrote:
    >

    > > On Thu, 3 Feb 2011 06:18:39 -0800 (PST), Vance <>
    > > wrote:

    > >> Try an install as administrator, not as a user.  It looks like you are
    > >> running into one of the UAC (User Access Control) irritations of Win
    > >> 7.

    > > Unfortunately, I am already the administrator. I suspect I am being
    > > locked out by a setting somewhere.

    > That's not the same thing.  Are you using Windows 7 64 bit or 32 bit?
    >
    > Right click the installer exe and select "Run as Administrator".- Hide quoted text -

    Try this approach. Access Denied isn't uncommon in Windows 7 and you
    seem to have tried the other quick approaches.

    http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/windows-7-access-denied-permission-ownership/

    Vance

    Vance, Feb 3, 2011