Re: Spring flowers in my yard

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by N, Apr 20, 2008.

  1. N

    N Guest

    N, Apr 20, 2008

  2. N

    Paul Furman Guest

    Cynicor wrote:
    > N wrote:
    >> Cynicor wrote

    >>> There are some incredible daffodils available.
    >>> http://www.web-ster.com/havensr/mitsch/garden.html

    >> Notice that all of those photos show the whole flower in focus?

    > Yeah, and they're trying to sell the flowers. I'm just creating a bunch
    > of crappy semi-abstracts. If I were shooting for a catalog I'd switch
    > lenses and back up.

    I shoot flowers for an online catalog and I generally use as shallow of
    a DOF as I can get away with. It's more moody and softens the
    background, just like human portraiture. The Daffodil examples are shot
    against a solid background.

    >> Take a browse through here:
    >> http://www.ronvandongen.com/index.php

    Nice. Oh, those have solid backgrounds and shallow DOF! One thing is the
    shallow DOF shots have the sharp part in the foreground, which generally
    works better, like this one:
    http://www.ronvandongen.com/image_detail.php?id=10000770&cat_id=color_flora
    or Cynicor's Magnolia, which is my favorite:
    http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/4754018_NrFaF#281799712_XJWfk
    The second shot has too much DOF & a distracting background:
    http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/4754018_NrFaF#281740241_J9Hpm

    Paul Furman, Apr 20, 2008

  3. N

    N Guest

    "Cynicor" <> wrote in message
    >N wrote:
    >> "Cynicor" <> wrote in message

    >>> There are some incredible daffodils available.
    >>> http://www.web-ster.com/havensr/mitsch/garden.html

    >> Notice that all of those photos show the whole flower in focus?

    > Yeah, and they're trying to sell the flowers. I'm just creating a bunch of
    > crappy semi-abstracts. If I were shooting for a catalog I'd switch lenses
    > and back up.
    >
    >> Take a browse through here:
    >> http://www.ronvandongen.com/index.php

    > You take these?

    No, if I were that good, I wouldn't be here using a single letter as an
    identity.

    N, Apr 20, 2008