Re: Spercified network name is no longer available....????

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by bod43, Apr 12, 2009.

  1. bod43

    bod43 Guest

    On 12 Apr, 22:10, Lovejoy <> wrote:
    > We have a windows XP PC, on a private vlan, gig link, behind a PAT NAT.
    > This machine is copying data to and from a cifs server volume that is
    > off campus.  The copy will take about 2 hours, as calculated by the
    > windows progress bar.  The copy will stop with the following error,
    > "The file XXXXXXXXX cannot be copied because the specified network name
    > is no longer available."  Where it stops is sporadic.  It could be
    > after 8 minutes, it could be after 75 min.  The local PC tech has
    > checked the PC, and has found nothing amiss, and I have checked
    > network, and found nothing that would cause this.  The interfaces shows
    > no errors, the remote server shows no errors, the PC log shows no
    > errors, and the NAT log didn't show any errors that I thought would
    > cause this error.  I did a Google search, and the error dates back to
    > 2004, but there was no solid resolution.  The ones that did find one
    > was limited to soho type routers.  I don't manage any of the campus
    > routers, just our local switch(s), a 6509.
    >
    > What I have done so far is to lengthen the NAT time-outs for udp and
    > icmp.  Neither have produced any positive results.  Of course, this
    > person is the ONLY one to have any issues with my network (if it is
    > even a network issue).  Trace routes look fine.  I wasn't able to get
    > Wireshark to work to see if there was some reset packet that is
    > stopping the transfer.  She is the only one to do a copy this long or
    > big, and is the only one that is copying data to an off campus server.
    > Everybody else is using a local NetApp.
    >
    > I feel it may have something to do with the NAT.  I say this because
    > the PC used to be on the public vlan, and it didn't have these issues,
    > or at least they didn't mention it.  Due to security issues, it had to
    > be placed on a private vlan behind the NAT. The machine cannot be
    > patched due to the patches breaking the installed software.  The error
    > didn't start right away, but after a few days or so.  The PC tech will
    > be testing a different machine in the same vlan to see if the issue
    > persists, and I will try and get wireshark to work to do a capture.
    >
    > Are there any suggestions from the audience?

    I would, as you suggest, capture the traffic during the failure. Also
    run say pingplotter to see if there are problems with the link.
    Pingplotter sends pings or other probes and displays the results
    very conveniently. Use long packets as well as short ones.
    you could use PingP to probe TCP 445 (or the other port,
    which ever your CIFS is using, 139?) but worry about leaving
    loads of half open connections on the other side
    or the firewall/nat. PP does close the connections but
    still worry about it:)

    Consider,
    compressing the remote file before transfer
    using a restartable file transfer tool
    - xcopy /z : maybe, but it did not seem to work when I tried it
    robocopy
    ftp - some clients support restartable transfers
    bit torrent - for industrial strength re-startableness
    bod43, Apr 12, 2009